8 Things Every Illini Loves About Being Back In Chambana After Break

Did someone say Monday Night Lion?

142
Altgeld Hall
Erin Pocza

There are so many reasons to love going home for break, but there are just as many reasons to be excited to be back at UIUC. Sure, mom's homecooked meals were amazing and hanging out with your siblings is always a blast, but it's hard not to think about all the things you miss about being at school. It's time to head back to Chambana, and here are a few things that Illini are sure to be excited about when they get back to campus.

Being around friends 24/7

Grease Slumber party

It can be hard to meet up with your friends from home over break. Everyone goes back on different days, the holidays take up a good portion of the break, and lots of sleep is necessary while your home. I often find myself telling my friends, "Let's get food over break!" and then never reaching out because I'm too lazy. At school, there's really no reason not to hang out with your friends unless you're really busy with school. It also helps that your friends are all within a three-mile radius from each other.

Hooked app deals

J law food

Being back home is great when mom is cooking, but when you're responsible for feeding yourself, there's a good chance you'll be eating out. In Chambana, you can open the Hooked app and instantly find food deals around campus. There are deals that last a few hours that can save you a few bucks on dinner that you can spend somewhere else!

The bars

Snooki to the bars

Hopefully you've given your liver somewhat of a break while you were home and you can hit the bars as soon as you get back. If not, that's cool too. The first week back, also known as syllabus week, is always the best week of the semester because everyone is reunited and doesn't really have to worry about any deadlines just yet. The Red Lion, Kams, and Brothers have all missed you and your money. Hanging out at bars around campus is a great way to socialize and meet new people. Drink (responsibly), dance, and have fun!

Your roommates

Big Bang Theory Roommates

Whether you get sick of each other easily or you're best friends, distance makes the heart grow fonder. Being with the same person or people every day and then suddenly not being with them at all can be rough. There's sure to be a lot to catch up on and you'll definitely want to spend some quality time when you're back. No more parents, no more rules!

Grocery shopping on your own

grocery shopping

Coming home to a stocked fridge at home can be nice, but if it's not with food you really like, what's the point? Going to the grocery store and picking out whatever you want to eat that week with no limits is exhilarating. Obviously if you're paying for it yourself, it can take come of the magic out of it, nonetheless, it's exciting. Mom isn't there to tell you to get broccoli and green beans, (I am though. Seriously get them. They're good for you) so you can go all out with whatever you want to eat. I can't be the only one who enjoys planning out what I'm going to eat for the week, right?

The scenery

Bob Ross Nature

Ahhhh Champaign... from the seemingly endless construction on Green Street to The Boneyard Creek, there are truly so many sights to see. There really are some beautiful parts of the campus, especially during the winter. The bare trees covered in snow along the main quad are truly breathtaking, not to mention the frozen creek running through the engineering quad. There's nothing quite like passing houses with 100+ beer cans in the front lawn on a Sunday morning.

Taking photos in front of "the wall" at Kam's 

Kam's

A personal favorite of mine is taking photos in front of "the wall" at Kam's. I know it's highly overdone and people at other schools are probably fed up with seeing them, but I can't seem to stop taking them. To me, if you didn't take a photo in front of the wall, did you really even go to Kam's?

Alma

Alma

She welcomes us back with open arms. There's literally nothing else I can say.

Without all the things we love about being at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, it simply wouldn't be the same. The joys of being home will be ripped away from you, but you'll be back on the best campus in the country, and that counts for something, right? Before you know it, your time on campus will be up, so enjoy it while it lasts.