Not Everyone Needs A Bachelor's Degree

Not Everyone Needs A Bachelor's Degree

Trades are a path too
88

If everyone went to college to earn a Bachelor’s degree, who would fix our cars, unclog our sinks, heat our homes, and style our hair? These occupations require a different skill set than your average office job, but they are still important. My brother and my friend are both pursuing careers in the trades, and honestly, they made a smart choice. They are going to trade schools and they will be able to make a competitive salary, equal to that of a college graduate. Along with a license or certificate in a trade, an Associate’s degree can be earned, such as the case with my friend. This will also give him an opportunity to earn a Bachelor’s if he desires, but he will already have a solid career and a two-year degree that can put him to work in the everyday world a lot sooner.

Do not underestimate the intelligence of people who hold positions in a field where they unclog toilets. I cannot even begin to understand how plumbing works, and I consider it a good day when my hair keeps a curl for five minutes after working on it for three hours. The only thing I know how to do for my car, is check the oil level by pulling out the dipstick. I don’t think I could change a tire too well by myself either without watching some videos first, but what if it’s raining and my phone's out of data?

These people are needed in order for our society to run smoothly. College does not have to be for everyone. There are plenty of other options that are just as good. I am so proud of my brother and happy that he will basically be debt free. The student loan debt is about $1.3 trillion right now and it is difficult to find a job after college so one can start paying back his student loans, so my brother and friend will be ahead of the game.

If you don't feel like going to college for four years of your life, the trades are coming back, but in actuality, they never really went away. People's views about education have just changed. The trades can offer great opportunities, so they should not be sold short.