17 Baby Name Ideas For Diehard Harry Potter Fans

When you love Harry Potter, but you don't want to name your kid Dumbledore...

498
Warner Bros. Pictures

The Harry Potter saga is near and dear to so many people, young and old.

However, I think it especially strikes a chord with the generation that is in their 20s to early 30s. We're the generation that grew up reading the books and going to the movie premieres. It's a series that has captivated us from an early age and continues to live on in our hearts. It's needless to say that we all have a favorite character from the books that we admire, respect, or just think is super cool. Why not pass on our love for that character to our children?

Although there are a few names like Dumbledore and Hagrid that may not be the most charming, here are a few baby names that are perfectly suited for a baby born into a Harry Potter-loving family.

1. Luna

Luna Lovegood is a strange girl that not a lot of people understand, but she has a heart of gold and is always willing to help others. She is also one of the most brilliant characters in the series, which is probably why she's a Ravenclaw. Luna is the perfect name for a kind and compassionate soul.

2. Lily

Lily Potter (Harry's mother) loved Harry so much that she sacrificed herself to save his life. She's a symbol of what true love looks like. Harry even named his own daughter after her and Luna Lovegood (Lily Luna Potter).

3. Cedric

Cedric Diggory was one of those guys that everybody loved. He was popular among his classmates and he was just a genuinely nice guy. He was also a very talented Seeker on the Hufflepuff Quidditch team and he was selected as the Hogwarts champion in the Triwizard Tournament. Cedric, although not a very common name in the non-magical world, is a name that would be great for any heroic and lovable guy.

4. Molly

Molly Weasley is the perfect example of a caretaker and a loving mother. She's a very powerful witch, but she always puts her family's needs first. Although the Weasley's aren't very wealthy, Molly always makes sure that her children have everything they need. Molly is a beautiful name to give a girl with a big heart.

5. Garrick

Garrick Ollivander is the proprietor of Ollivander's Wand Shop in Diagon Alley. He gave Harry and most first-year Hogwarts students their first wands. He also played a big role in helping Harry defeat Voldemort by teaching him about the Elder Wand.

6. Amos

Amos Diggory was Cedric Diggory's father. He was also friends with Arthur Weasley and Alastor Moody, who are two other great characters in the series. His love for his son is his greatest trait as he never gives up on it, even years after Cedric's death. Amos is a great name for a loyal and persevering man.

7. Kingsley

Kingsley Shacklebolt worked for the Ministry of Magic as an Auror, but went undercover for the Order of the Phoenix to feed information to them and to help Sirius Black while he was on the run. He eventually became the Minister of Magic and was able to reduce the corruption and pure-blood bias that plagued the Ministry for so long. Kingsley did so much good work for the Magical world and is so underappreciated as a character. With a name like Kingsley, your kid is bound to do amazing things.

8. Hermione Jean

Hermione Granger is arguably the best character in the entire series. She's the brightest witch of her age, and one of the bravest as well. She is incredibly loyal and will do anything for the people that she loves. She's an advocate for the welfare of House Elves and for the elimination of pure-blood bias in the wizarding world. Any girl should be honored to be named after this incredible woman. But, if the name "Hermione" is a little too different for you, her middle name "Jean" is also a lovely choice!

9. Pomona

Pomona Sprout was the Herbology teacher and the Hufflepuff Head of House at Hogwarts during Harry's time there. She was cheerful and loyal, as well as nurturing to her students. She was a mentor to Neville Longbottom who shared his interest in Herbology with her early on. She fought in the Battle of Hogwarts by throwing Devil's Snare at Death Eaters to keep them away from the castle. Professor Sprout is often overlooked, but she served a great role in the series. Also, the name "Pomona" is just very cute!

10. Helena

Helena Ravenclaw, otherwise known as the Grey Lady, is the ghost of Ravenclaw House. She is also the daughter of Rowena Ravenclaw (another great name!), who founded the house. She was an intelligent woman during her life, but she often kept to herself. Tom Riddle persuaded her to tell him where her mother's diadem was, and he went on to turn it into a Horcrux. She was ashamed and horrified that he used such dark magic and defiled the heirloom and she blamed herself for it. She ended up helping Harry find the diadem during the Battle of Hogwarts so it could be destroyed and Voldemort could be defeated. If your kid is a Ravenclaw, this is a great name for her!

11. Remus

Remus Lupin was the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher during Harry's third year at Hogwarts. He was a loyal friend to the Potters, was in the Order of the Phoenix, and served in the Battle of Hogwarts where he gave his life for the cause. He was a fantastic teacher to Harry and all of the students in his classes, even though we find out later that he was dealing with his werewolf tendencies the whole time. His hardships make him that much more admirable, and we remember him as one of the greatest teachers to ever serve at Hogwarts.

12. Lavender

Lavender Brown, although best known for her infatuation with Ron, was a brave witch above all. She was a Gryffindor and joined Dumbledore's Army in her fifth year at Hogwarts. She also served in the Battle of Hogwarts and fought valiantly until she was killed by Fenrir Greyback. She was also very good in school and had a fascination with Divination. Lavender isn't just a nice name for a girl, but also a great nursery room color idea!

13. Ariana

Ariana Dumbledore was Albus and Aberforth Dumbledore's younger sister. She had a traumatic experience when she was just starting to learn to use magic which caused her to suppress her magical abilities. Although this story is tragic, her life left a great impact on her older brothers. She was kind and gentle, but also brave. She tried to break up a battle between her brothers and the great wizard Gellert Grindelwald. Although she was accidentally killed in the process, she showed her bravery and love for her brothers in that moment.

14. Fleur

Fleur Delacour was a talented witch from the school Beauxbatons. She was a champion in the Triwizard Tournament and fought bravely to the end. She was intensely loyal to those she cared about. When Harry saved her little sister's life during the second task of the Triwizard Tournament, Fleur expressed her gratitude to him and she never forgot about it. She proved her loyalty to him when she later volunteered to risk her life by escorting him from his home when the Death Eaters were after him. She also let him and his allies stay in her home while on their hunt for Horcruxes. Fleur also means "flower" in French, and it's a fitting name for a woman as beautiful as she was.

15. Arabella

Arabella Figg was a Squib who lived in Harry's neighborhood. She helped Dumbledore keep an eye on Harry while he was at his aunt and uncle's house. When Harry and his cousin Dudley were attacked by Dementors, she showed up to save the day. Although she didn't have any magical abilities, her willingness to help Dumbledore and Harry was admirable and courageous.

16. Narcissa

Narcissa Malfoy, although she technically was a Death Eater, really only cared about her family's safety. She did everything she could to protect Draco during the Battle of Hogwarts. And when it came down to it, she saved Harry by lying to Voldemort about him still being alive. She's a cunning woman who does what she knows she needs to do for her family, which is definitely an honorable trait.

17. Newton (Newt)

Newton "Newt" Scamander is a magizoologist who wrote one of the textbooks that Harry studies during his time at Hogwarts. He traveled the world studying magical creatures, who he said he enjoyed being around more than actual human beings. He was eccentric, open-minded, and showed proficiency in many skills and magical abilities. This name is perfect for a kid that is definitely going to want multiple pets around the house.