Is 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' About Date Rape? Of Course Not
Music

The Idiotic Controversy Around The Classical Holiday Bop 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' Is Just That: Idiotic

There's a continuous debate going on this Christmas season about the Classical hit that came across radio stations back in 1944.

197

If you hadn't heard, the classical Christmas bop, "Baby, It's Cold Outside" is officially being pulled from radio stations.

Why? Well, those against the song claim that it promotes a date rape environment.

They claim that the verse "Hey, what's in this drink?" shows that the man is trying to drug her in order for her to stay the night at his place.

Additionally, they say that while the female singer is continuously saying, "I ought to say no, no, no," the man is pressuring her into staying by moving closer to her which is sung throughout the song.

Now, like many, you may wonder why this is coming up all of the sudden and unfortunately it's quite simple and frankly idiotic.

Today's life is a lot more sensitive when it comes to women's safety and rights. This is the time that the #MeToo movement is ever prudent — a movement that is giving women the voice and attention that they rightly deserve.

However, despite deserving the right to voice their opinions and having their safety and values come first, this classical song was written before the #MeToo movement was even thought of.

Cleveland's WDOK made their final decision about the song last week and ended up pulling the song from their radio stations and their host had some remarks to make about the song and the #MeToo movement.

Host Glenn Anderson stated that "The world we live in is extra sensitive now, and people get easily offended, but in a world where #MeToo has finally given women the voice they deserve, the song has no place. While reading the lyrics, it seems very manipulative and wrong."

If we think back to the popular verse of "Hey, what's in this drink?" and people believing that this part of the song is referring to the man putting a date rape drug in her drink take a moment and think back to the 1940s.

Back in the '40s, people didn't talk about sex openly let alone date rape drugs as they do now.

Do you honestly think the teenage boys and girls, young men and women back in the 1940s believed that they were happily singing about drugging a woman into staying inside on a snowy evening? Not a chance.

There are people arguing that the meaning behind the song has changed but that's ridiculous because that would require Frank Loesser, the writer of "Baby, It's Cold Outside," to make a public declaration of the meaning behind his song. His own daughter, Susan Loesser, states that the song was simply a song for him and her mother to sing at holiday parties — nothing more nothing less.

So, if you're one of those people who think that the meaning behind this classical Christmas song is a negative one, then you are the one that perhaps needs to change this holiday season.

If you are offended by the Christmas song that has been around longer than you have been alive well switch the radio station.