Review Of Childish Gambino's Album "Awaken, My Love!"

Gambino's newest album showcases true artistry and musical craftsmanship

357
Glassnote Records

2016 gave us some of the best albums. From Weezer to Beyoncé, everybody got new music to enjoy. One of my favorite (not just musical) artists, Donald Glover a.k.a. Childish Gambino released an album earlier this month that exposed me to a whole realm of music. His new style infuses 70s funk with an almost "Neo-Soul" style with certain instrumentation.

If you are looking for an album to play as you do homework or clean the house, this is it. Don't expect to be dancing around, however. Gambino's latest release provides more of a steady groove rather than party anthems. Regardless, everyone can find something in this album which drives them creatively crazy. Here is "Awaken, My Love!"

1. Me and Your Mama

If anyone knows how to successfully open an album, it's Childish Gambino. A beautiful mix of passionate chords followed by melodic progression as the song puts you into a dreamlike state. Yes, It is odd to have a ballad as your first track with such a contrast from past works, but it truly sets the tone for the album as a whole. While "Me and Your Mama" starts off repetitive, the intro is 2 minutes long, the fuzzy guitar comes over the hook and entices you to keep listening. Gambino's passionate and yearning-for-love vocals in the verses took me completely off guard. If I had to describe them, It would be a combination of Screaming' Jay Hawkins and Sly from Sly and The Family Stone - look up their Woodstock performance, it was phenomenal.

2. Have Some Love

Who wants the funk? You've got it. "Have Some Love" could have been released 40 years ago and could have passed. I'm not sure if it is the unusual instrumentation or the message which made me listen to this song on repeat. "Have a word for your brother/Have some time for one another/Really love one another/It's so hard to find." Isn't it? 2016 started off with powerful movements from the supporters of "Black Lives Matter". Gambino, being a supporter, urges us all to have some love.

3. Boogieman

Using song to address controversial topics isn't uncommon; it's been going on for decades. In Gambino's second track, the "Boogieman" comes out to play. A combination of the disciplinary Boogeyman and the word Boogie, with origins in African-American neighborhoods. In this word play, the Boogieman is symbolic of Glover himself, portraying this negative character of a scary African man. Boogieman's beat and vocal harmonies are direct deep funk revival style. He, Gambino, nods to KC & The Sunshine Band with their track "I'm Your Boogie Man" (1976). If you compare his refrain with their chorus, the similarities will show. I believe Boogieman to be one of the more lighter tracks to play off this album, even though the message is heavy.

4. Zombies

Have you ever felt as if someone is sucking the life out of you? Like all of your creativity and passion is gone because of somebody? The tale told in "Zombies" is just that. Zombies symbolize the music industry and carbon-copy artists that surround Glover - feasting on his money and "eating (him) for profit". Musically, his voice is the most powerful instrument in this track. It's haunting laughs send chills up the listeners spine, while his voice fluctuation sounds as if he is telling a story. The backing vocals and works of Kari Faux on the track add the mystery of somebody preying on you - you can't see them, but are aware they're coming.

5. Riot

"Riot", the shortest song on the lineup, is nothing short of energetic. The vocals on this track are dynamic and colorful, and display Gambino's range of emotion through song (screams and crooning). The mood portrayed in this song makes me want to just get-down, despite the lack of dance moves I have. It's very funk inspired, and truly invokes the feeling of a riot inside just wanting to break free.

6. Redbone

My favorite track off of "Awaken, My Love!", hands-down. From the hint of synthesizer in the beginning to the space bass-line, "Redbone" grooves it's way to the deep corners of love' meaning. The song deals with infidelity and becoming aware that his partner is cheating on him. However, just like in previous tracks, he is not willing to purposes these feelings. "We can make it/If you want it/You can have it" is the pre chorus which drives into a soulful chorus with the dainty glockenspiel dancing over the chorus into the end.

7. California

Well, this song appeared out of nowhere! It's significantly auto-tuned vocal and clanky instrumentation doesn't quite fit in with the tracks surrounding it. It doesn't make it one to skip over the next time it comes up on your playlist. Under it's groove are jabs at Vine (RIP), those who make repetitive mistakes, and false hope of big dreams in L.A. In fact, I believe "California" will make it big in a few months, maybe it will be a big hit of Summer 2017. Why? It's undertones of bossanova and reggae make it an easy track to chill out to. "California" does connect to the next track through the same laid-back feeling, but on a more realistic and darker tone.

8. Terrified

As soon as I heard Gambino's first squeal on this track, I immediately thought of the late Prince (Even in earlier tracks you can hear this vocal inspiration). What truly makes "Terrified" a diamond in the rough is the shrill and ever-changing guitar. It beings over the first hook and dances around Gambino's vocals until the glockenspiel again takes hold on the ending interlude. Do you hear another track in another? Don't be alarmed - several samples are placed in different songs which connects them deeper together. For example, the maniacal laughter in Track 1 are heard just before the last minute of "Terrified". It's effective and, truthfully, terrifying.

9. Baby Boy

Earlier this year, Glover welcomed a baby boy. Now entering this journey of Fatherhood, there is no better way to express emotions than song! "Baby Boy" pulls at our heartstrings with story-like lyrics towards his newest bundle. The organ and steady bass line provide a steady rocking rhythm to write on (not over). His choice of leaving the last roughly two minutes to expose organ and guitar work is effective in sending you to a dream-like state once more. Ending "Baby Boy" is an outro that comes across as a plea for his son: "There was a time before you/And there will be a time after you/Though these bodies are not our own/Walk tall, little one, walk tall/Let me hold you, let me hold you/Can I hold you?". In tandem with the lines is the refrain of the song title ("Don't take my baby boy".) Another beautiful song that nobody expected, given Gambino's past style, but will cherish.

10. The Night Me and Your Mama Met

"The Night Me and Your Mama Met" could easily be a continuation of "Me and Your Mama", artistically speaking. The choir used in this song along with the passionate guitar stylings encompass the true meaning of an instrumental. There is no need for any lyrics in this song, for the groove and flow of this track tells it's own story. If you choose not to listen to any song on this album, just please give this one a second chance. It's perfect to include on your nightly playlist.

11. Stand Tall

If "Baby Boy" didn't provide a message, "Stand Tall" blatantly does. The mantra of perseverance in his chorus and interlude provide a beautiful ending to an artistic masterpiece. Glover has stated his father giving him advice to remain positive, which he continues to pass along to his son. I believe this message is one we all should hear, and embrace - very Hallmark, I know. In short, "Stand Tall" is 6:11 of gorgeous vocal, twinkling intertwining melodies, and all the feelings.

"Keep all your dreams, keep standing tall

If you are strong, you cannot fall

There is a voice inside us all

So smile when you can, when you can."