Why I Owe My Childhood To Avril Lavigne

Why I Owe My Childhood To Avril Lavigne

"Chill out, what you yellin' for? Lay back, its all been done before. And if you could only let it be - You will see."

252
Why I Owe My Childhood To Avril Lavigne

For most of us, whether male or female, I can pretty much guarantee (whether we would like to admit it or not) that we have some sort of memory of singing "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne at the top of our lungs.

In the early 2000s, a Canadian rock-and-roller named Avril Lavigne took the world by storm with her first album titled "Let Go." I was nearly eight or nine years old whenever this album was released. And, it just so happened to be the album that really introduced me to music.

I'll never forget the first time I heard the song "Sk8er Boi," (yes, I did have to spell it that way on purpose). I was walking downstairs and all of my cousins were gathered around the radio listening to her new album. I fell in love. I've never heard anything like this. And, I became obsessed with anything and everything Avril Lavigne.

I wanted to be a rock star. I began wearing all black, put on some bracelets and chains, and even painted my nails black.

I was an odd child. What can I say? Here is some beautiful evidence below:

As you can see, I was very dedicated and pretty hardcore with my Avril addiction.

There are many things in all our of childhoods that we would prefer to forget, but my obsession with Avril Lavigne just so happens to be something I'll be forever thankful for. In my opinion, I felt as if Avril could relate to anyone and everyone. She had a song for everything.

In an "all up in my feelings" mood?

There's a song for that. In those "I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm doing me" kind of moods?

Missing a lost loved one?

When you got your hopes up for someone who never really cared...

That moment you realized you don't need to put up with someone who uses you:

When she blatantly describes how we feel at the beginning of every week:

Once again, there's a song for that as well.

I've personally enjoyed watching Avril grow as an artist. I'll always be supportive of her.

A big thing we can take from Avril Lavigne is, she spoke her mind and didn't care who agreed or disagreed.

The way she dresses, how she presents herself, her stage presence, all of it.

Avril is simply legendary.

As I've grown older, I have not been listening to her as much. My music taste has changed, I have changed. Listening to her music now, actually listening to some of her lyrics, I can relate to it more so now than ever before.

I always find myself coming back to her.

The first album I ever heard, "Let Go," seemed almost like a series of stepping stones into my future. Each album of hers holds some sort of significance to our generation, whether we realize this or not. I lived and breathed those albums and it's amazing all the memories that come to mind.

Whenever her albums would come out, I would burn several copies and pass them out to all my friends when I got to school the next day.

Remember her song "Girlfriend" that came out and you knew right then and there, this song will be stuck in my head for the next 10 years.

She's anything but just another pop singer. Coming from someone who doesn't even listen to 'Pop' music much anymore, I thank you Avril. I thank you for giving me those albums that will always bring memories back from my childhood.

I thank you for introducing me to the world of music. I thank you for being the first person to let me know that it is okay to express yourself.

I thank you for showing me it is OK to be alone. I thank you for the times when I get into my parents car and forced them to turn it up every single time you came on the radio without hesitation.

I was that little dude on the baseball and kick ball team that everyone knew as the easy out. I never took it personal though, I knew I had your songs to go home and dance my worries away to.

Keep doing you, Avril.

Love always,

The boy who wrote you a letter back in the 4th grade confessing his love for you.

(Still waiting for a response, by the way)