9 Things You Can Do Today To Avoid Mid-Semester Burnout

We all experience it at some point.

118
Alayna Dalgleish

One minute it's the first day of classes, you're so nervous and excited, and the next? It's mid-terms and you're wondering how you will survive. Mid-semester burnout: the lack of motivation which is usually caused by physical and emotional exhaustion. We all go through it at some point, however, how you deal with it is the most important part.

While I am certainly no expert on mid-semester or mid-quarter burnout, there are some tips I've picked up along the way that help reduce exhaustion and help me get back in a more motivated state.

Take some time to yourself. 

This is one of the most important things you can do for yourself, spend time with just you! It can be something as small as getting lunch by yourself and reflecting on how the semester has gone so far, to taking a day off (preferably a weekend) to recharge and rejuvenate. This alone time allows for a non-disruptive environment where creativity can flow freely, or you can just sit in silence and enjoy the alone time.

Along with taking time to yourself, it is important to treat yourself!

Treat yo self. Seriously! Having that time to pamper yourself with something such as face masks, or painting your nails, can make a huge difference in your confidence, which in turn effects your motivation in positive ways! Taking time to treat yourself to something like face masks also allows for the time to recharge and rejuvenate. You are left feeling wonderful, and ready to tackle midterms

Devote a night to studying, and turn your phone off!

By having a specific time of day or night to studying with no distractions, it can help reduce your workload and stress overall.

Make a study playlist

Along with devoting time to study, you have to have the right music to go along with it! I found that I work best with light instrumental music.

Study with friends

Something that may be helpful is getting together and forming a study group with your friends! You don't even have to be in the same classes, just getting together in a coffee shop or a study room and working on your own assignments feels great when you have another person in your presence.

Find creative outlets

When you take some time to yourself, you may pick up a few creative outlets that take your mind off of school. As odd as this sounds, those adult coloring books really do help relieve stress! Another thing I enjoy is journaling or scrapbooking, I am currently working on what is called a SmashFolio, which is basically a mini scrapbook! These creative outlets alleviate stress and bring on a sense of pride when you see the amazing things you can create.

Healthy habits!

If you're feeling extra down, think about what you have been eating for the past few weeks. Fuel your body with good foods, not a bunch of junk! It can be good to treat yourself once in a while, but when you are consistently eating junk food, it has a very negative impact on every aspect of your body, mental and physical. Along with fueling your body with healthy foods, it is important to exercise as well. Exercise doesn't have to be grueling! There are many fun things you can do as a form of exercise, from Zumba, to swimming, to even just walking around the neighborhood. Exercising releases endorphins, which contributes to a happier, healthier, you!

Develop a schedule

Sometimes, all you need is a little visualization on what exactly your assignments are, and when they are due. Making lists or schedules can benefit you greatly because they can hold you accountable and be a source of straight-forward information regarding schoolwork.

Wait... clean?!

Now you may be thinking, "no way! How can cleaning help?" Well, for one, it keeps you focused on one task at a time, the cleaning itself! Two, having a nice clean living space can affect your mood and boost motivation. I find cleaning very rewarding when I am stressed, it helps me take a break, focus on the positive maintenance of my living conditions, and lifts my mood overall.