11 Ways To Avoid The Drexel Shaft This Summer

Philadelphia is not a beach and you're not playing in the sand

536
Youtube

Philadelphia -- a city of homelessness, happy hours, and psychotic squirrels. If anything, this city is diverse. And I'm not just talking about the different types of brotherly love in University City where Drexel University resides. Friends from high school are back home, you have finals (or a full time co-op) and the ever historical Drexel Shaft is fair game for anyone. Here's how to avoid the shaft, and milk the cow (i.e., get everything you can) out of something that sometimes isn't so great.

1. Make a friend who lives in Evo.

There are limited resources for sunshine and bliss in a city. This one has a dope backdrop and a waterfall that may or may not serve an actual purpose.

2. Ride a bike.

No harm getting in some practice for the next Philadelphia naked bike ride.

3. Date the Jimmy John's delivery guy.

I can't speak from experience, but it couldn't hurt.

4. Stop forgetting your Kiwi punch card

Each visit is a punch.

Punches lead to free Kiwi. Never underestimate the power of loyalty. Or the power of getting a little every day instead of a lot one time, or both -- who's judging? Anything's a food group if you make it one.

4. Go to happy hour.

Expectation...

Reality...

Somewhere, at this point in time on planet Earth, it is happy hour. Examine your plethora of options for the socially appropriate one of your choice. Outdoors, indoors, near (Mad Mex) or far (Cavanaugh's river deck) cities have people, and people are drinking.

5. Taco Tuesdays.

When all else fails, tacos probably won't hurt (no promises). Plus, tacos are Americanized Mexican food, and Americanized Mexican food means margaritas. You know, for the authentic experience.

If you don't trust me, trust our President.

6. Wine Wednesday.

OK, I'm a sucker for using cute phrases with alliteration as an excuse to drink wine. Sue me. Wine also rhymes with summertime. Cheers to that.

7. Go to the beach.

I found my happy at LBI. A little less coordinated than above, but if I can, you can too- If there's a will, there's a way. If your car breaks down, find a bus. If you miss your bus, take another one. If you leave your phone at the bus station, find a way back the next day to search for it.

8. Beach house friend.

If you can't figure out public transportation, you have one option: stop being an idiot. Investigate. Figure out which friend of yours already has a beach house. For instance, perhaps your roommate's boyfriend's childhood friend has a beach house. Six degrees of separation, people. Figure it out.

9. Leave on the weekends.

If all else fails, find your way out somehow. Plane, train, or automobile- Philadelphia is begging for you to leave.

10. Stay at 30th Street Station.

Realize you don't have money or anywhere to go, swing for a while.

11. Fake it until you make it.

See all above 10 photos? Everyone is smiling.

A lot of life situations can be handled by smiling and making the best of it. So suck it up and soak up that Vitamin D.

From Your Site Articles