Avocados and Life

Avocados and Life

How getting stitches from cutting an avocado changed my view on life.

31
Avocados and Life

It all started because of Tiktok. I watched a video on how to make the perfect avocado toast, and was instantly compelled to make one. I grabbed a knife from the new set my mother bought and got to work. Once I removed the pit I started to slice the avocado, but I ended up slicing my finger along with it. Now here's two things you need to know about me before I continue; the first is that I have never (thank G-d) needed stitches before, the second is that I cannot tolerate pain or blood whatsoever. So I'm sure you can get a picture of my reaction when my blood started to pool all over the kitchen sink (yes it was that deep).

I ended up getting about six stitches on my finger. I could not move it in the slightest way without wincing. Two days after receiving them, I learned a valuable life lesson: if your body works properly, you need to be thankful for it. We tend to get caught up with life's daily obligations and routines that we do not step back and admire how precious life is. Look at your fingers, have you ever stopped for moment and tried to picture your life without them? It might seem silly but really, stop reading for a moment and look at your hands. Think about everything you do with them, writing, typing, building, creating etc. You use your hands for almost every action in your life. Have you ever taken a moment to be thankful for them? Before I got these stitches, I didn't.

Having to take a shower with one hand was insanely hard, so was making my bed, making a sandwich, even typing this article. I never really appreciated my health. It shocked me how my finger being injured was the key to making me more grateful. Every time I wake up I now think about things I need to be thankful for. My lungs work, my legs work, I can hear, see, smell, and taste. In finding things to be grateful about, I have started to see a shift in my attitude as well. I'm more positive, and I have been slowly fighting the urge to get upset on trivial matters. I urge you to find things to be grateful for, start with your health and then work towards everything else. Being grateful makes you happy, and when you're happy you make the best out of life.