The Difference Between Fall In Florida Vs. Pennsylvania

There really is no place like home.

639
Adrienne Fuller

As a native of northeast Pennsylvania, fall is a completely different experience there, then it is in Tampa Florida, where I currently reside.

Back home in Scranton (yes, like The Office) the first and most obvious attribute that is different during this time of year is the temperature. Look at the weather in both locations and you will see at least a 20-degree difference. Normally by Halloween, the nights in Pennsylvania get as low and sometimes lower, than 30 degrees Fahrenheit. In comparison, Florida remains at a steady 70-80 degree each night until we get closer to “winter.” Now don’t get me wrong, I love it in Florida, otherwise, I wouldn’t be living here. Nonetheless, the heat and the intensity of the sun gets a little overbearing sometimes.

Another thing that blows my mind about Florida is the fact that the leaves do not in any way, shape or form change colors on the trees before falling off. This obviously isn’t something new for a native inhabitant of Florida but this is something that is pretty upsetting to someone from the north. Fall in Pennsylvania is known for having an array of colors splattering the mountains surrounding us. If you look out into the distance in Pennsylvania, you will not be disappointed by all of the different shades of red, yellow and orange you will see. This is one thing that is definitely worth seeing in your lifetime.

One of my friends who is originally from Florida asked me if a picture from PA was photo shopped due to the trees having so many colors other than green on them. This is probably one of the saddest parts about not experiencing fall in the north because you miss out on the beauty of nature that occurs during this time.

Clothing attire is also something that varies drastically between the sunshine and keystone state. In the north, a very popular brand for winter coats and other attire is L.L Bean. When I moved down to Tampa and my friends saw my L.L Bean backpack and jacket, they were confused. After explaining to them, they realized they had never heard of this brand because there was no use for this type of clothing down here. If you are looking for sweaters and heavy jackets, Pennsylvania is your place to go. However, pack those away when coming to Florida because you will get no use out of them.

Although there are several differences between the two states and their typical autumn climate, there is one thing that seems to be maintained in both states. Rain is definitely something that both states are heavily accustomed to. I have discovered by living in Florida that it doesn’t matter if it is sunny in the morning, it will most likely rain by the evening hours. This trait is something that connects the two states.

Believe me, I am not knocking on Florida and all of its beauty. I love the warm weather down here and always being able to throw on shorts and a t-shirt and not worry about being cold during the night hours. However, if you really want to get a feel for how the north lives during fall, Pennsylvania is where it’s at. It truly is a beautiful experience being bundled up in hat and gloves while frolicking through a bright pumpkin patch, multi colored leaves and a chill in the air surrounding you. There really is no place like home.