Audrey Hepburn Is The Role Model Women In Their 20s Need, Now More Than Ever

"There's such a lot of world to see" — Audrey Hepburn

406

Audrey Hepburn is more than just Holly Golightly from "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and the home decor that you see all over Pinterest. Along with being a successful actress, Hepburn's philanthropic accomplishments are overlooked due to her critically acclaimed Hollywood roles.

She is one of the bravest women to date and has handled several hardships with grace. Here are 11 reasons that Audrey Hepburn is the perfect role model if you're in your twenties.

1. She had a huge heart.

After World War II, Audrey received food and medical relief from UNICEF in Belgium. She had great pride in the organization as she had seen first-hand what this organization has done for children, as she was one of them. Hepburn has given back to the organization by traveling to Ethiopia to help children in need. Hepburn later became an ambassador to UNICEF and is still considered one to this day.

"As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others."

Blessings come in all shapes and sizes, and she took hers and made it into a blessing for someone else. In your twenties, you will hit rough patches that will seem impossible to overcome. Maybe not as severe as surviving the hardships of World War II, but it will be things that every twenty-something woman goes through. Don't be afraid to ask for help, and don't forget to pay it forward.

2. She kept her confidence.

One of Hepburn's most noteworthy performances was her light-toned cover of Moon River by Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer in "Breakfast at Tiffany's." It is significant because the song was altered to fit her character and the plot of the movie and — get this — Paramount Pictures hated it. Hepburn stood her ground, and the song ended up winning numerous awards and was re-done by some of the best artists such as Frank Sinatra and Judy Garland.

Being so involved in such a huge industry, especially film, can be quite intimidating. When you first get into it, you're taught to satisfy everyone and follow all of the unspoken rules so that you can make it big. Sticking up for yourself and your work is what has set many stars, such as Audrey Hepburn, apart from the others. Be proud of what you're passionate about because it will always be worth it in the end.

3. She was unapologetically herself.

Many of Hepburn's famous films such as "Funny Face" and "Sabrina" really showed the public who Audrey Hepburn was. She was different from the women on the tabloids in the '50s; she didn't wear stilettos or dresses. It was even on the verge of taboo as trousers weren't a typical dress for women at that time.

This is the most redundant, but also most important, advice that you can receive when you're in your twenties — to just be yourself. You're going to meet the same version of that person so many times because it's more comfortable to follow the crowd than to lead your path. Hepburn was most known for her "boyish figure" and "pale face." She never let this hold her back in her endeavors, and if your physical appearance isn't society's favorite version either, you shouldn't let it hold you back.

4. She created wholesome, long-lasting relationships.

Hubert de Givenchy was a dear friend of Hepburn's, as they worked closely in the costumes on the set of "Breakfast at Tiffany's," "Funny Face" and "Charade." They built each other's careers just by him creating beautiful pieces for her to wear in her critically acclaimed films. They were described as being "made for each other" as their images meshed in a way that created something beautiful. Givenchy and Hubert were close friends, one that was often referred to as a "kind of marriage," up until she passed away.

In your twenties, people will come and go more than you realize or will be prepared for. Every once in a while, though, you'll meet someone that you just know will be in your life for a long time. Hepburn and Givenchy both had something that drew them to each other and created an everlasting bond.

5. She didn't take anything for granted.

One of the last philanthropic traveling that Hepburn had done before passing was an extremely brave trip to Somalia. At the time, this was one of the most devastating and dangerous countries in the world. Following the Somali war, the country needed help. People were waiting to die.

Hepburn found it difficult to recover from the trip as it devastated her in a way that she couldn't get over. She says that although getting over the trip was difficult, the dying children had it much worse and could hear her mother saying, "that doesn't matter dear" to keep her from feeling sorry for herself. She was very aware of the blessings that she had in her life, even in her time of need after World War II in Belgium.

Hepburn was very in touch with life in a way that she knew that even if something was challenging for her, someone else was facing something worse. Any problem that you may have could be a luxury for someone else. For instance, your car's paint is chipping; how lucky it is to be able to own a car at all.

6. She put her happiness first.

Although I never knew her personally, Audrey Hepburn had one of the most contagious smiles. It made you want to smile forever. It was lovely, genuine and full of life. She continued to smile throughout all of her hardships during her traumatic childhood during World War II and her several miscarriages.

"If my world were to cave in tomorrow, I would look back on all the pleasures... I have been lucky enough to have had. Not the sadness... but the joy of everything else. It will have been enough."

She put her happiness first because she believed that "happy girls are the prettiest girls" and "that tomorrow is another day." Nothing is worth losing your happiness over, and nothing is worth more than your happiness; always put it first.

7. She believed the importance of being educated.

Hepburn seems to have been a very thoughtful and independent individual. She did a lot of thinking and educating herself because education on its own was a luxury that many children did not have. She believed that knowledge equaled power and protection.

To be enrolled in college is a blessing in itself, to have the opportunity to further your knowledge and gain skills is what will bring you to your full potential. Your twenties are the best time to learn and to experience things and to share them with the world. Never stop learning.