10 Audio Dramas to Listen to This Fa​ll and Winter

I didn't know I liked audio dramas until I accidentally stumbled across Limetown. When I finished it it left me hollow, like when I finish a book that I'd invested a lot of time in.

41
Photo by C D-X on Unsplash

Personally, I love podcasts. They are great to listen to while driving to and from work, and for the commute from campus to my home town. I also do Uber Eats and Postmates, and sometimes music just doesn't work for me. Now, I would like to preface this recommendations post by saying that I am in no way an expert on podcasts. I can only recommend what I've listened to, and what has been recommended to me by others.

Limetown

Limetown is a horror & sci-fi podcast created by Two-Up Productions that began airing during the summer of 2015. It focuses on Lia Haddock, an investigative journalist with the fictional station American Public Radio, in her search for the truth about what happened to the scientific settlement of Limetown, Tennessee. In 2004, all 327 inhabitants of the town vanished without a trace after a burst of strange activity. However, her interest is far from simple curiosity, as her uncle is among the missing citizens.

Limetown is also a novel by Cote Smith, and a tv series.

Alice Isn't Dead

"This is not a story. It's a road trip."

Keisha Lewis lived a quiet life with her wife, Alice, until the day that Alice disappeared. After months of searching, presuming she was dead, Keisha held a funeral, mourned, and gradually tried to get on with her life. But that was before Keisha started to see her wife, again and again, in the background of news reports from all over America. Alice isn't dead, and she is showing up at every major tragedy and accident in the country.

Following a line of clues, Keisha takes a job as a long-haul truck driver and begins searching for Alice. She eventually stumbles on an otherworldly conflict being waged in the quiet corners of our nation's highway system—uncovering a conspiracy that goes way beyond one missing woman.

Alice Isn't Dead is also a novel by Joseph Fink

The Bright Sessions

The Bright Sessions is a science fiction podcast that follows a group of therapy patients. But these are not your typical patients - each has a unique supernatural ability. The show documents their struggles and discoveries as well as the motivations of their mysterious therapist, Dr. Bright.

Wolf 359

Wolf 359 is an audio drama space opera, set in a massive space station orbiting the eponymous red dwarf star. What starts out as a lighthearted story about the lackadaisical protagonist Doug Eiffel being bored in space eventually becomes an action-packed, dramatic, heart-wrenching story about the cost of the greater good, the path to redemption, what it means to be human, and overcoming trauma.

The Amelia Project

The Amelia Project is a comedy audio drama about a company that helps clients fake their deaths and start anew, complete with faked identities. Each episode is a consultation with the prospective client to find out why they want their death faked, how they want it do be faked, and how they want to come back.

The Black Tapes

The Black Tapes is a bi-weekly podcast from Pacific Northwest Stories and Minnow Beats Whale, and is hosted by Alex Reagan. The Black Tapes is a serialized docudrama about one journalist's search for truth, her enigmatic subject's mysterious past, and the literal and figurative ghosts that haunt them both.

How do you feel about paranormal activity or the Supernatural? Ghosts? Spirits? Demons?

Do you believe?

The Magnus Archives

Join Jonathan Sims, newly appointed head archivist of the Magnus Institute, as he attempts to bring a seemingly neglected collection of supernatural statements up to date by converting them to audio and supplementing them with follow-up work from his small but dedicated archival team.

Faerie

In the docu-drama-style investigation, a woman named Ryan Bailey endeavors to uncover the dark secret world of faeries and the agency that protects them.

Hello From the Magic Tavern

After falling through a portal behind a Burger King, Arnie Niekamp crosses dimensions into the land of Foon. Somehow, he still gets a Wi-fi signal there, so he issues weekly transmissions from Foon in the form of interviews with wizards, a dragon or two, and various other fantastical creatures—which take place at the titular magic tavern, the Vermilion Minotaur.

Welcome to Night Vale

Twice-monthly community updates for the small desert town of Night Vale, where every conspiracy theory is true. Turn on your radio and hide.

Welcome to Night Vale is also a novel by Joseph Fink