5 Reasons I'm Attending College Undecided

Deciding to go to college undecided is definitely not a terrible decision.

204
Madison Howell

There are many stigmas about going to college "Undecided." You may hear people say it's a waste of time and money, or some may tell you that you'll end up without a job and massive amounts of debt. These comments can be very intimidating to an 18-year-old who has been told she should go to college all of her life but doesn't know what she wants to do as a career yet.

When I graduated high school a semester early and started working full-time as a waitress during what would be my second semester of senior year, I began to doubt whether I wanted to attend college in the fall or not. Often overthinking about my future, I contemplated what would be the best decision for me.

Thankfully, all of the countless hours and effort I put into my work in high school awarded me with a good academic scholarship for in-state schools. Even though I was filled with uncertainty, I applied to a few schools in my state and was accepted into them.

This, at least, gave me the reassurance that I did have the option to go to college. As the days I had to reach out to my school of choice became fewer and fewer, I began thinking, "I might as well." The last little push I needed to decide to go to school came from supportive family and friends.

I entered my first semester of college without any expectations or even much knowledge about the school. I had done some research and visited the campus, but overall, it would be a new experience that I wasn't very prepared for.

As my first semester is now coming to an end, much of my uncertainty has left me as excitement and ambition take its place in my mind.

Instead of listening to the negatives about going to college without a desired major in mind or looking for reasons to drop out, I want to focus on all of the positives about the college experience in general.

1. Attending a four-year school gives you the opportunity to explore different areas of interest and learn about them.

When I got to college, I realized the first two years are full of general education and introductory courses for many of us. Also, I was relieved to discover that I have until the end of my sophomore year to declare a major.

I will take these next few years as an opportunity to take classes in subjects that interest me and find out my strengths. I have ideas about what I want to major in, although I am not sure yet, and that's okay!

2. I'm learning new things and more about myself.

Living away from home for the first time is a big step for many of us. Even only after one semester, I've had more time to get to know myself and what it is I want to get out of my college experience while simultaneously learning new, engaging information from the classes I'm taking. There have been many ups and downs, but that's life in general. I am hopeful and eager to continue to find what it is I am most passionate about and to further my education, regardless of what major I do eventually decide on.

3. I'm meeting new people and networking.

I've met so many new and different people since I started college and will continue to do so. In college, you don't spend 7 to 8 hours a day surrounded by the same people in the same building like in high school. This is an ideal time to decide who I want in my life and to cut ties with those who are not in my best interest. Also, there are many opportunities to start building a platform for networking. I am keeping all doors open that could lead to a potential job when I graduate in four years.

4. I'm making new goals for myself and working towards a degree.

While I was working tiresome hours day in and day out, I found myself stuck in a rut. I didn't feel as if I was working towards anything and I lost sight of what it was I wanted for my future. College has opened my eyes to many new opportunities I had never thought of or knew existed for me. Also, I know that I will have a degree in the next four years that could improve my chances of earning more in my career field of choice.

5. I get to do the whole "college experience."

I have become very grateful for the opportunity that I almost gave up. Both of my parents attended college, and I remember being engaged by stories they would tell from their own experiences. Between the classes and study sessions, college gives us the freedom to manage our own time and enjoy it. Although I have gotten a taste of the stress and anxiety finals can cause, I believe it will all be worth it in the end. It is an experience that I want to take full advantage of and be able to tell my own kids about one day.

Deciding to go to college undecided is definitely not a terrible decision. I can't wait to see what the next four years bring.