Meet the Reporter: Why ASU?

Meet the Reporter: Why ASU?

Learn why Odyssey Reporter, Rachel, made the decision to attend The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

82
Meet the Reporter: Why ASU?
Rachel Riccobono

Welcome to the second segment of "Meet The Reporter."

Our team of writers at ASU Odyssey will be writing monthly "Meet The Reporters" as an effort to make things fun for our readers and let you get to know us!

My college journey actually did not begin at Arizona State. As a starry-eyed high schooler, I originally had my heart set on out-of-state schools. After countless college visits, research, and information sessions, I was eventually faced with the decision to choose between a small, private Catholic college in New York and a large, public state school in California. After much deliberation, I chose the large state school, out of hope for more opportunity and experiences. I spent a year and a half at San Diego State University before packing my bags and heading back home. Needless to say, I didn't find the college experience I was looking or hoping for. But, all in all Go Aztecs! I think I needed that period in my life to grow up away from home and outside my comfort zone, as hard as it was.

Let this be a lesson, that the alternative plan isn't always a less desired one. Sometimes, we don't get it right the first time and need time to figure things out the hard way. I decided to transfer back home, not because it was an easier option or a backup plan, but because I knew it was what I needed. I needed my support system of family and friends, I was done paying out-of-state tuition, and ASU is a great university. I absolutely overlooked it before, with blinders up to any options in-state. However, this second time around the block, ASU offered me a lot. After I transferred back home, everything in my life naturally fell back into place. Everything seemed to seamlessly fit back together like a puzzle piece. Whereas nothing fit or felt right in my previous situation. I finally chose ASU and The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences because I felt that's where I was meant to be.

Within The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, I am majoring in Psychology. This degree not only allows me to satisfy my never-ending curiosity but understand human beings more than the average person. I am more aware and competent in identifying one's drives, motives, wants, needs, and behaviors. I find this useful in my personal life on a daily basis, but also applicable in most, if not all, professional settings. I've chosen to pair my Psychology degree with a Special Events Management minor from the Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions. By combining my love for events, my love for service, and my understanding of people, I feel that this is the perfect combination for me, and I cannot wait to see the opportunities it brings in the future.

Go Sun Devils!

From Your Site Articles