Everyone has an asshole friend, I just happen to be one.

Being The Asshole Friend is hard

Friendship isn't always easy, but it's even harder when you know you're the asshole friend.

2052
Being The Asshole Friend is hard
Unsplash

Every friendship is different, and it's important to know the boundaries within each friendship, but I usually start to notice that I'm almost always the asshole friend. If you relate to this, you probably know the feeling I'm talking about. I'm not saying that it's always worse to be this type of friend because it does have perks, but as the asshole friend, you know right off the bat that some type of people can't handle this friendship.

Being the asshole friend is hard. Having to monitor your sensitivity, or lack thereof, or even force yourself to fake being more sensitive can be exhausting. If you're being an idiot and texting your ex-boyfriend all the time, I won't be the one to tell you it's okay. I'll be the one to tell you that you're being an idiot and to move on. Tough love, baby.

As I previously said, when you know you're the asshole friend, you also have to know that some friendships won't last because of it. Now this usually goes back to the sensitivity thing, but sometimes it's because of other issues such as other people's opinions, not fitting in, or even feeling different themselves. You ever hang out with an asshole and realize you're becoming an asshole, too? That's not for everyone.

Some friendships don't last because their other friends don't like you. As the common friend, it's hard to keep every friend happy when the only thing they have in common is you. Sometimes you won't make the cut, and that's hard. But it's not the end of the world, and as the asshole friend, you probably know this.

Personally, the thing I've found that causes the most problems other than sensitivity would definitely be the sense of humor, which I guess goes hand-in-hand with sensitivity. It was a real shocker to find out not everyone wants to hear your demented jokes, and it was incredibly hard learning to not laugh at super messed up stuff I would hear. Asshole friends are the funniest friends, and I'm tired of my sensitive friends not being okay with that! Just kidding. Kind of.

Realizing a joke isn't going to go over well is probably one of my favorite things though. You know when you start to say something funny, but in a really dry, sarcastic tone, and you just know you didn't read the room right and no one is about to laugh? That's actually one of my favorite things. It's almost funnier when you're still going strong with this joke, and you can just see the confused faces around you while you're still confidently saying something that probably should've stayed in your head.

Jokes that don't go well with your sensitive friends are even better content for your other asshole friends. Not only will the joke go over well, but the story about how you completely made a fool of yourself while previously telling the joke will be even funnier than the original joke itself.

While being the asshole friend isn't always easy, it does have certain perks. For example, you always have your friends' backs. Not everyone can stand up for themselves, but we can stand up for you. Another perk is that you won't ever have to worry about if we are lying. We don't lie because we don't care to. Why do something if you can't be honest about it? Even if it might hurt your feelings, I'll still tell you the truth.

The asshole friend is also usually very accepting. You want to get wild? Go for it. You want to sit in your car and cry? Go for it. We're used to being judged more than others, so we won't judge you for doing whatever you need to do to be happy.

Learning to monitor yourself isn't always easy, and it definitely isn't always worth it. If you're finding that you constantly can't be yourself around someone, drop them. No matter what kind of friend you are, you always have to do what's best for you and your happiness.