Mom Is The Reason I Survived My Freshman Year Of College

Without her, everything I have done wouldn't have been possible.

3422
Mark Davidson

Sometimes, college can be too much. There are times where you have papers, exams, assignments and work galore.

There are times where your roommate could be bothering you, your love life can be hectic and you feel like you never have time to yourself while at school.

During these times, plenty of us, including myself, get so stressed out and just want to leave it all behind.

Of course, we all go to our friends and voice our frustrations, and they tend to give us advice...but no friend does it quite as well as your mom.

Even if your friends say the same exact thing as your mom, it is still just better hearing it come from her.

So, mom, with that being said, I want to say thank you.

If it weren’t for you I would not have made it through my first year of college.

This year has been very stressful for me between academics, friendships, living transitions, work and relationships. You have been there through it all.

Through the occasional weekends I spent sadly at home, every single time I ranted on the phone and every breakdown I may have had in person, you have been so patient and kind.

You let me freak out and be upset, you let me wallow in my sadness and when it is time to be picked back up, you push me to get there.

You listen to me during my hard times, let me cry on your shoulder and you give me guidance. When I cannot make up my mind or be decisive, you keep me level-headed and logical.

You give me the strength to persevere through my hardships.

There have been countless times that you have told me that crying over boys is stupid, that I deserve a break from working so hard or that I just need to go out with friends.

I tend to be hard on myself, but you always keep me grounded. You always encourage me to experience life before stress.

You have taught me through my struggles this year that everything is going to be alright.

Even when my mind tells me it will not be OK, it always will be in the end.

During my good times, you always check in with me. I call you with every accomplishment, piece of good news or update I may have.

I come home, and you let me tell you endless stories about the crazy amount of interviews I have had or how work went during the week.

You have supported me in whatever I wanted or continue to do.

One of my favorite things you have ever said to me is, “I am so proud of you. You are a joy. You want something and you make it happen because you are a force of nature. I love you.”

I am so thankful for you. No matter what I do, I know you are always right beside me. You always support all my endeavors and pursuits and you make me feel so accomplished.

You’ve always been there for me and have always been on my side no matter what.

I could not have made it without you because you are the one person I go to for advice, and you are always the person I want to see if I need to relax.

You are my best friend.

We may not do everything together, but every moment with you feels like a moment with my soul mate, the light of my life. I love hanging out with you, I never get sick of you and most of all, I love you.