As Told By A Working College Student

As Told By A Working College Student

8
As Told By A Working College Student

Most of us know the struggles of trying to balance an education while also maintaining a job. We soon lose our social flexibility. Trying to balance a job and school can be quite stressful. These are just some of the struggles that we face.

1. Trying to Study While on Shift

Most college students with jobs aren't allowed to do anything other than their job while on shift. Luckily, my job allows me to do homework while I'm working. You may sneak away to the bathroom to look at quizlet for your biology test when you're supposed to be waiting on tables.

2. Rushing to Class After Work

A lot of the time you clock out 10 minutes before class starts and you end up having to run across the world to get to your class on time. Can't forget your clicker questions. It's OK if you show up to class with one shoe and drenched in sweat -- you made it. That's the important thing.

3. Loss of Social Interaction

You may find that you're becoming increasingly isolated from the outside world. You'll begin to lose your people skills if you do not brush up on them. You may find yourself wanting less to do with society than when you had more free time on your hands.

4. Less Time for Yourself

It's important to remember to leave time for yourself. You should be your number one priority. But with balancing three meals on a measly plate, you might find yourself feeling trapped within the system. It can become a never-ending loop of stress. Especially if your major is hell.

5. Sleep Deprivation

The loss of sleep is real. Sometimes, you'll eat-sleep for dinner because you worked a 2AM to 7AM shift, had class from 10:30-5:30 PM, and had to study for three quizzes. It's important to have a set schedule in which you plan out your day, making sure to include time for sleeping, eating, exercise, etc.

6. Loss of Flexibility

It becomes harder to make plans with friends because your schedule may not have been posted yet. This often leads to you being left out of the planning phase because people will assume you can't make it because of work.

7. Increased Stress

This one is a no-brainer. Balancing so many things on one plate can lead to you wanting to rip your hair out. It's important to be able to manage your stress levels. Never let school or work come before your physical or mental health. You are too important.

8. Losing Friends

If you do not make an effort to hang out with your friends, you will get left out. They understand that you have to work, but by no means does this require them to stop living their lives. You may find that your friend group gets smaller.

9. Lack of Involvement with School

Since you are so busy with trying to balance a social life, an academic career, and a job, it leaves little to no time for getting involved with your campus. Campus involvement is strongly encouraged all throughout your years as a student. Try to make time for it.

Long story short, for a lot of college students, they cannot depend on their parents for money. They have to find ways to provide for themselves. These are the struggles that they endure. At the end of the day, they become stronger people.