"As If!": Cult Teen Movie "Clueless" Turns 20

We're totally buggin' about how long ago this movie was released.

43

On July 19, 1995, a new teen comedy produced by Paramount Pictures was released in theaters. This movie, based on the Jane Austen novel "Emma," starred Alicia Silverstone as Valley Girl Cher Horowitz, a popular high school girl who strives to do good deeds for her fellow classmates and her school; from playing matchmaker for two of her nerdy high school teachers to, later on, becoming the captain of her school's disaster relief effort.

Alongside Cher are her two friends: the equally rich and fabulous Dionne Davenport (Stacey Dash), who's often seen quarreling with her high school boyfriend Murray,

...and awkward but spunky new girl, Tai Frasier, (the late Brittany Murphy), who transforms from ugly duckling to beautiful swan.

While helping to maintain the happiness of her friends and colleagues, Cher also tries to keep herself happy by attempting to find love herself. Unfortunately, these attempts are mostly abysmal. First, Cher's attempt to hook up Tai with popular boy Elton goes haywire when Elton seduces Cher and then leaves her stranded and robbed. Second, Cher tries to snag handsome and charming new boy, Christian, as her man, only to find out that Christian seems to be more interested in other men.

Eventually, Cher finds out that the man that she truly has feelings for is Josh Lucas, (Paul Rudd), her college-aged ex-stepbrother who wants to focus on becoming a lawyer for environmental issues.

Before "Mean Girls," with Lindsay Lohan in 2004, and after "Heathers," with Winona Ryder in 1989, "Clueless," with Alicia Silverstone became the ultimate teen movie. It also served as one of the movies that perfectly describes life as a teenager in the mid 1990s.

From the fancy slang...

...to Cher's ultimate closet that every girl dreamed to have.

(Can you imagine how her dream closet with the computer would be like today?)

Look how far "Clueless" has come 20 years later. The movie has garnered such a cult following from people who have seen the movie when it first opened and from people, like myself, who are discovering it on Netflix or through airings on television today. It has even gained the attention from some of today's most popular stars, including Iggy Azalea. She showcased Cher's iconic preppy yellow and plaid outfit and featured some of the other characters and their 90s-esque clothing-wear in her music video for "Fancy."

To this day, some of us are still "Rollin With The Homies..."

...while others feel like boneheads, thinking that they're virgins who can't drive.

But, if you have one thing to take away from this article and from the times you have watched this movie, whether it's one time or 600 times, remember this...