As A First-Time Voter, My Voice Has Never Felt More Important And Heard

I never thought my first vote as an American would be as impactful as it has been.

28152

Years ago, if someone told me my first time voting in an election would be so important, I would think they were lying. If someone told me this election could mean the difference between someone keeping or having their basic human rights taken away, I would think they were absolutely delusional.

Well, boy, was I wrong.

In the past few years, I realized how naive I have been. It occurred to me how much changed in the four years that President Donald Trump has been in office. It was something I couldn't get off of my mind. Trump has left a negative impression on many Americans in the four years he has been in office. With all policy set aside, as well as bias, the way that he treats other human beings has left my mouth gaping open on many occasions. Sure, conservatives and liberals can go back and forth on policy all day, but policy doesn't hold any importance when a politician doesn't know how to treat others.

With that set aside, there are many things Trump has done wrong in his administration that we could talk about for days. But no more time has to be wasted. His four years are done and we finally have a fresh of breath air coming in our near future: Joe Biden.

Once again, policy set aside, you see how nice of a guy Presidential-elect Joe Biden is. I see his kindness and empathy show through on a day-to-day basis. As an American, these are the things America has been lacking, These are the things we NEED in office.

Looking back on how good it felt to vote last week, the feeling was immeasurable. Who knew that going to the polls and simply filling in a bubble could hold such a great place in your heart.

Knowing that you're on the right side of history and someday you can tell your kids the story of the biggest election in a long time and what was on the line. What a good feeling I held for the rest of the days to come. That feeling got even better when the winner was announced.

I was overcome with tears to hear the news. The nightmare was over. It was a win for the LGBTQ community, which had to worry about their adopting rights and marriage rights. It was a win for the African American community, which has been down by the conservatives and a president who constantly denied the presence of racial inequality. And it was a win for the families who have been losing loved ones to COVID-19. Science will finally be followed. Basic human rights, which should have never been in question in the first place, will be respected.

Although not falling in many of the categories suffering from their voices being ignored by the conservatives, I am proud to say that I voted for a politician who will respect everyone, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, class, and religion.

I will always remember the day I voted. Tuesday, November 3, 2020. The day I let my voice be heard. The day I thought of others and the respect and rights they desire and deserve. Although your rights may not be directly on the ballot, other people's always are.

Empathy has a place in the election, hate does not.