Artist To Watch: The Ben Cote Band

Artist To Watch: The Ben Cote Band

Bringing back the 80's rock.

29
Artist To Watch: The Ben Cote Band
Ben Cote and His Band

From their rich, dirty bass and guitars riffs to their big drums and edgy vocals, The Ben Cote band definitely delivers the rock 'n' roll sound that is lacking in today’s music scene. After trial and error with multiple bands, they finally found their stride in the summer of 2014. The Ben Cote Band started in the Worcester live music scene, frequently playing at venues such as Partners Pub, The Palladium, Beatnik’s and dozens of other locations. They also now play shows in Boston, especially at Berklee College of Music.

Lead singer and guitarist Ben Cote started off at The Musicians Institute in Fall 2013. After a year, Ben decided that he needed to get a more advanced education to help further his music career. Now he is a fourth-semester student studying professional music here at Berklee. Through Berklee professors and courses, his craft is getting stronger and can be seen through his original music. Cote’s thirst for rock 'n' roll couldn’t be more real. He has teamed up with drummer Sam Mogel and bassist Max Dzeiwit to create music heavily influenced by classic rock icons such as Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix.

Earlier this month, I had the honor of meeting one-on-one with Ben Cote himself to talk about his Berklee involvement, as well as his band's accomplishments.

Summer Whittaker: Can you describe your Berklee experience so far?Ben Cote: It was very strenuous because you’re in an environment with musicians, and for me it gave me an identity crisis. You’re coming from your hometown where you were the best-of-the-best, and now you are this little fish in a big pond. What made it worse was that before coming to Berklee I didn’t know how to comprehend sheet music. Right from the get-go I felt like I was scurrying to catch up with everyone else. Another thing that made my first semester very challenging was that I am not a jazz musician. My roots are classic 80’s rock and studying artists including Led Zeppelin and Van Halen. Anything jazz-related was out of my comfort zone.

SM: What has been the most helpful class you’ve taken?

BC: Being a bandleader and a musician, the most helpful class I took was Legal Aspects. The class teaches you how to manage your band as if it were a business. It allowed me to understand the behind-the-scenes with record labels and managers on what to expect and not be caught off guard.

SM: If you could go back in time, would you approach your education at Berklee differently?

BC: Right out of high school I got accepted to both Musicians Institute in Hollywood California as well as Berklee right here in Boston. I ended up having Berklee defer my acceptance for a year so I could try Musicians Institute. At the time when I visited both schools I decided that Musicians Institute was the better choice mainly because it was right in Hollywood and that’s my dream. Berklee has a lot of elite jazz musicians, which seemed intimidating. Musicians Institute had more of a contemporary rock presence. Once I got there I learned the curriculum was too informal for my skill level. It’s a great school if you are just starting to learn your instrument but if you are trying to advance your artistry, Berklee is definitely the better choice. Not saying I would change the way I would approach my education because it was a life-worthy learning experience, but now I am more in debt than I would’ve been had I came to Berklee right out of high school.

SM: How do you find balance with completing your classes, practicing with your band, going home to work on weekends and having a social life?

BC: Luckily, I am fortunate enough to be a Massachusetts resident. During the week I stay in Boston to complete my schoolwork and spend time with my friends, and then on the weekends I go home with my bandmates to practice. Being able to go home with your band and not have to fight to get a practice room is a huge advantage. Recently, I have only been working one shift a week every Sunday so that doesn’t interfere too much. Time management is the only way to be able to get through each task. Dozens of train rides and trying to stay organized is the only way to accomplish everything.

SM: A few months back you performed with rock legend Dizzy Reed from Guns and Roses. How was that experience?

BC: Easily one of the most unprofessional moments our band has had to deal with in it's career. The Worcester Palladium contacted us about our show that we were having at another location that they owned called The Webster. They had asked us if we would like to open for Dizzy Reed’s new band Hookers and Blow. The band agreed that it would be a great opportunity to play with inspiring artists including Dizzy Reed, Alex Grossi from Quiet Riot, as well as special guests W.A.S.P bassist Mike Duda and Type O Negative drummer Johnny Kelly. A few days before the show their manager contacted us and asked if Hookers and Blow could use our equipment. They mentioned their band was touring light and needed to use about 80% of what we brought. Normally I would never allow other musicians to use my gear, but we were nice enough to allow them to use my Marshall Plexi, Sam’s vintage 1970 Ludwig drum kit and Max’s bass amp. During their performance, they made comments on stage to the crowd including, “This bass amp sounds great when someone who knows how to play uses it,” and “This drum kit is not bad when a real drummer is behind it.” The backlash they gave us on stage was shocking and they didn’t even thank us for letting them use the equipment. Had we said no they would’ve had to cancel. This learning experience just shows that the music industry isn’t rainbows and butterflies, it is a serious business and you just have to take all the bad and not take it personally.

SM: How was your EP ‘Order Up’ produced? Describe the process before and after it's release. Anything new we can expect on the next EP?

BC: We had been performing the songs a long time before we actually went to record. Joe Musella, my guitar professor, introduced me to David Minehan who is a producer here in Boston. He was voted “Best Rock Producer” in Boston for many consecutive years. We went to a studio called Woolly Mammoth Sound in Waltham, Massachusetts this past summer. It took four days to complete four songs because mainly it was a new experience and we had slight difficulties recording. Playing along to a click track was probably the hardest. We normally didn’t practice with the use of one so recording to one on the spot made it that much more difficult. We are more seasoned live performers. The session was humbling and an eye-opener. It gives you a whole new perspective about being a performer. There are other abilities you need to perform both on stage and in the studio. We plan on going back into the studio in the next few months with David Minehan to record a possible full-length album with our new bassist Max Dziewit.

SM: How has the change in band members changed the vibe of your music and style of your band?

BC: The last few line-ups before our current group didn’t fit very well together. Sam and I have always been together but we have switched bass players around multiple times. I feel that our previous change is going to be our last. We now have the perfect ingredients within the band to create the best sound possible. Not only do we all have the same musical style, but we can all read each other while we are on stage. We have that connection that we can just click and not have any major deficits on stage. Along with being bandmates, we are also all best friends which makes our trio that much more enjoyable.

SM: What’s the #1 piece of advice you would give to up-and-coming Berklee artists/bands?

BC: Don’t let yourself become artistically compromised because of other musicians making you feel you should blend in to what they are doing. Stick to your roots and don’t follow the crowd. Just because you are not a master at what everyone else is talented at doesn’t meant that you’re not also talented. My first semester I struggled because all the people I knew were jazz inclined and I knew nothing about it. Some students and professors will say to expand your horizons, but I say just stick to what you know best. So far staying with what I am talented at has gotten me very far.

Don’t miss out on their next show at 9:30pm on April 23rd at Partners Pub in Fitchburg MA

Website: thebencoteband.bandzoogle.com/home

Facebook: www.facebook.com/bencoteband/?fref=ts

Twitter: @bencoteband

Instagram: @bencoteband