Art Is Beauty

The Artist's Contract

As an artist myself, I have learned to open up emotionally.

26
https://unsplash.com/photos/uiyse12Hu14
Unsplash

Have you ever heard the saying that artists are the most sensitive? You probably have.

And when I say artists, I'm not just referring to painters. I'm including poets, musicians, filmmakers, animators, writers, lyricists, dancers, designers, actors, sculptors, photographers, and even the casual doodler in the mix of creatives.

Those that use their creativity to escape the heaviness of the world are aware of their emotions. Some may feel lost or can't seem to find their place in society. Some may feel unaccepted or different like they don't belong.

They use art as a means to express their frustrations and to further expand their perception of the purpose of life. They don't feel like they fit into the world only because they are meant to create another world of their own.

Artists see a different picture. A different perspective. A whole new world.

Artists remind the human population that there's more to life than work. They explore the hidden gems in this world and remind others of the curiosities out there. They touch people with their brilliance and bring something to the table that the average John doesn't.

Art brings people together, whether it's in the movies, a museum, or even if it's on your friend's couch sharing your Spotify playlist with them.

As an artist myself, I have learned to open up emotionally. I've been giving myself permission to feel my emotions more vividly, without judgment, as opposed to shutting them out and hiding my feelings.

Of course, it was a struggle to open myself up to become a victim of heartbreak, a softie, an outsider, but then I realized, we're humans. We're supposed to condone our feelings, analyze them, and then better ourselves, not judge ourselves or others for being emotional.

Ever since I allowed myself to have a more passionate and vulnerable journey, I found that my writing has become sincerer and more brutally honest. By revealing my own personal journey to others, I have found that others can connect to it as well, making life a bit easier.

When I create a character, for example, I can incorporate my own experiences into my creations, fleshing out the individual. Giving my readers something to relate to and reminding them that it's perfectly okay to struggle in this lifetime.

Recently, in the book "Art and Soul: Reloaded"by Pam Grout, I have read a couple of statements that shook me up for a moment. Pam claims that creativity may, in fact, be the same thing as spirituality and, if you really absorb that information, it makes sense.

Whenever I listen to my heart, or if I'm going through something in my head, I feel an urgency within me to write it down. Ever since I read Pam's statement, it got me thinking that my urgency to write is my spirit nudging me to do just that. Like I was born to leave behind my story and write others.

It's my calling to create.

Pam Grout also quotes Elizabeth Gilbert, another author, who said, "Possessing a creative mind, after all, is something like having a border collie for a pet: It needs work, or else it will cause you an outrageous amount of trouble."

When I read that, it hit me. Pretty much every true and iconic artist in history encountered a personal struggle or practically lived with it. Depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, self-doubt. All the darkness at once.

I've realized that if I go a while without using my gift of imagination, my anxiety acts up. It's my creativity acting against me since I'm not letting my juices flow enough.

With my experience thus far, I have found that the artsier a person is, the more in tune they are with themselves. They have more tendencies to get down about life harder than others, and then they get uppity at times, probably around the time they feel their creative calling.

We find the good in pain, joy in the smallest things, and are able to pinpoint the silver linings. We are also the first to overthink situations and get lost in our own world. We feel the most alive when we allow ourselves to do what we love.

All in all, we signed the artist's contract to be open to whatever life throws at us. We gave ourselves permission to be emotionally susceptible so that we can put out their best work in the world but, most importantly, to ourselves.

And let me tell you, there's nothing more strong and beautiful than to be open. Mentally, emotionally, and spiritually open.