The Art Of Haiku

The Art Of Haiku

Learn from an expert (me, of course) about the ancient, Japanese poetry form, the haiku!
107

1) How to Write a Haiku:

Take five syllables

In line one, and then seven.

Then finish with five.

2) How to Find Inspiration:

Pick up your pencil,

Find a blank sheet of paper,

And then write something.

3) How to Know if You Wrote a Haiku Correctly:

Did you follow the

Proper form? Yeah, I did. O-

Kay, it's a haiku!

4) Examples of Beautiful, Ancient Haikus

Tranquil lily pads

Float in a rippling pond;

Nature is at peace.

------------------------------

School is kind of hard,

And it's a lot of work.

Ugh! I am tired.

------------------------------

Ow! I stubbed my toe.

I need to see a doctor,

or else I might die.

------------------------------

I am so hungry.

Mom, when is lunch? I am not

Your mother, Timmy.

5) You Are Now a Haiku Master

Wow, congrats to you!

My great teaching has shown you

The art of haiku.

*Disclaimer:

I wrote these haikus

And stealing them will result

In disgrace for you.

Cover Image Credit: Charlene Fondrevay

I'm The Girl Without A 'Friend Group'

And here's why I'm OK with it

923380

Little things remind me all the time.

For example, I'll be sitting in the lounge with the people on my floor, just talking about how everyone's days went. Someone will turn to someone else and ask something along the lines of, "When are we going to so-and-so's place tonight?" Sometimes it'll even be, "Are you ready to go to so-and-so's place now? Okay, we'll see you later, Taylor!"

It's little things like that, little things that remind me I don't have a "friend group." And it's been like that forever. I don't have the same people to keep me company 24 hours of the day, the same people to do absolutely everything with, and the same people to cling to like glue. I don't have a whole cast of characters to entertain me and care for me and support me. Sometimes, especially when it feels obvious to me, not having a "friend group" makes me feel like a waste of space. If I don't have more friends than I can count, what's the point in trying to make friends at all?

I can tell you that there is a point. As a matter of fact, just because I don't have a close-knit clique doesn't mean I don't have any friends. The friends I have come from all different walks of life, some are from my town back home and some are from across the country. I've known some of my friends for years, and others I've only known for a few months. It doesn't really matter where they come from, though. What matters is that the friends I have all entertain me, care for me, and support me. Just because I'm not in that "friend group" with all of them together doesn't mean that we can't be friends to each other.

Still, I hate avoiding sticking myself in a box, and I'm not afraid to seek out friendships. I've noticed that a lot of the people I see who consider themselves to be in a "friend group" don't really venture outside the pack very often. I've never had a pack to venture outside of, so I don't mind reaching out to new people whenever.

I'm not going to lie, when I hear people talking about all the fun they're going to have with their "friend group" over the weekend, part of me wishes I could be included in something like that. I do sometimes want to have the personality type that allows me to mesh perfectly into a clique. I couldn't tell you what it is about me, but there is some part of me that just happens to function better one-on-one with people.

I hated it all my life up until very recently, and that's because I've finally learned that not having a "friend group" is never going to be the same as not having friends.

SEE ALSO: To The Girls Who Float Between Friend Groups