Ariana Grande Brings Awareness To Mental Health Through Music

How These 10 Lyrics From 'Get Well Soon' By Ariana Grande Raise Awareness For Mental Health

"You can work your way to the top."

1483
@ArianaGrande on Instagram

"Get Well Soon" is the closing track of Ariana's album Sweetener that was released in August 2018.

What makes this particular song so impactful is the message she is trying to convey through the lyrics which reflect her battle with mental health after experiencing devastating trauma.

Being 5 minutes and 22 seconds long, the length of the song symbolizes the date of the Manchester attack at her concert on May 22, 2017 (5/22).

The last 40 seconds of silence at the end of the song pay tribute to the victims of the bombing, making the message of "Get Well Soon" even more powerful, so it resonates with listeners.

Through the lyrics of this song, Ariana sparks a much-needed conversation about the importance of taking care of your mental health, and that anyone struggling with similar issues is not alone.

These 10 specific lyrics to "Get Well Soon" best capture what Ariana is trying to say:

1. "They say my system is overloaded. Girl, what's wrong with you? Come back down."

@alfredoflores on Instagram

The meaning behind these lyrics explains the severe anxiety she experienced following the Manchester attack where she felt like she was floating outside of her own body as if she was disconnected from herself.

The part where she sings "girl, what's wrong with you? Come back down" refers to her realizing something is wrong and that she wanted to return to a healthier state of mind. She was overwhelmed to the point where she shut down.

2. "I'm too much in my head, did you notice?"

@alfredoflores on Instagram

One of the worst parts about anxiety is that it can cause you to overthink so much that you feel like you're trapped inside your own mind.

This can become overwhelming due to the flood of thoughts constantly running through your head, and may even result in panic and fear because of the extreme stress it puts on your mind and body.

These mental and physical symptoms of anxiety could become noticeable to the people around you, and it is important that you and your loved ones are able to recognize these signs so you can seek proper help.

I think that is what this lyric is trying to convey.

3. "My body's here on earth, but I'm floating."

@ArianaGrande on Twitter

As Ariana explained in her tweet, these lyrics reflect how her anxiety became so bad that it manifested itself physically, and she felt as if she wasn't even in her own body.

This also goes back to the lyric "girl, what's wrong with you? Come back down."

4. "Disconnected, so sometimes, I feel frozen and alone."

@ArianaGrande on Instagram

When struggling with mental health issues like anxiety, it can be easy to isolate yourself from your family, friends, and the outside world, and these lyrics are saying just that.

In an interview, Ariana said that for months she wouldn't even go out because the trauma she experienced took such a huge toll on her mental state, so she was in a dark place for a long time. Her anxiety completely took over her life and it was the worst its ever been.

5. "This is for everybody. Babe, you gotta take care of your body."

@alfredoflores on Instagram

Here, Ariana is reaching out to her fans and anyone listening that it is important to take care of yourself and it's okay to seek help if you need it.

6. "Ain't no time to deny it, that is why we're talking about it."

@alfredoflores on Instagram

I believe these lyrics are meant to initiate the discussion about anxiety and other mental health issues because it is a necessary and important conversation we as a society need to have, especially because so many people struggle with their mental health.

If you are aware that your mental health is declining to the point where it affects your daily life, denying or ignoring it will not help you get better and return to a healthier place.

Which is why we are talking about it! You are not alone.

7. "My life is so controlled by the what-ifs."

@alfredoflores on Instagram

Anxiety is the ability to make yourself overthink even the simplest of things so you come up with the worst possible outcomes for all these "what-if" scenarios that are usually unlikely. This can negatively impact your everyday life and daily functioning.

In these lyrics, Ariana is saying how this aspect of her anxiety has taken over her life.

8. "Is there anybody else whose mind does this?"

@ArianaGrande on Instagram

I interpreted this line as Ariana reaching out to others who may be going through something similar as a coping mechanism for both her and whoever is listening.

It can be comforting and therapeutic to know that you aren't alone in your struggle, and it may even encourage you to get help.

9. "Maybe I should ground myself where the mud is,  before I'm gone."

@ArianaGrande on Instagram

I've heard multiple interpretations of the meaning behind this lyric, but I think she means that she wanted to "come back down" and get better before she lost herself completely, hence the phrase "before I'm gone."

10. "When you need someone to pull you out the bubble, I'll be right there just to hug you."

@ArianaGrande on Instagram

In an interview, Ariana said that this song is meant to be like a hug for her fans through music to let them know she is always there for them.

Everyone goes through something at some point in their lives, so it is important to bring attention to the issues surrounding mental health in order to be progressive and take care of ourselves, and that is exactly what "Get Well Soon" is trying to say.