Are Summer Romances Worth It?

Are Summer Romances Worth It?

Everyone wants a spontaneous romance during the summer, but are they really worth the effort?

72
Are Summer Romances Worth It?
New York Post

There are many different relationships and summer romances are among the most exciting. Everyone wants one but when they happen it is unexpected and surprising but still absolutely breathtaking. The only problem is along with the end of the summer comes the end of the romance.

The summer brings so many possibilities and cute picnic and beach dates are just a part of the whirlwind. Everything happens so quickly; you meet and before you know it the two of you are inseperable. You crave the times of the day when you two can finally see each other and the time seems to pass way too quickly but also slows down all at the same time. The last thing on your mind is the end two months from now when you go back to school.

When the summer comes to an end it becomes way too clear that you have to start considering the possibilities of ending the romance or attempting to keep it going. Making that choice is probably the most difficult. Maybe the whole thing was just a fling and the both of you are okay with things just fading out, or maybe it feels like there is so much more there that one or both of you wants to pursue. It is becomes the thing that no one wants to talk about because the reality of it is so harsh. Relationships pursued, especially long distance relationships, are anything but easy. You go from seeing each other every day to planning visits months in advance for only a few day stay and it becomes work to stay present in each others lives. The arguments or little spats are harder to work out from over the phone and the little signs of affection such as hand holding that you became so used to only come as frequently as the visits. You begin to wonder if keeping the romance up after the summer was even worth pursuing at all.

Distance and different schools is hard without a doubt but it is about finding someone worth the struggle. If you're anything like me you'll find more than you expected and your summer fling will become more serious. Sure there will be really difficult times where it feels like the distance is too much and that is when you need to stop and think about what the relationship is worth to you. Waiting to see them and having to rely on a phone or laptop as your source of communication takes some getting used to, but hopefully you will think that all of those obstacles are small compared to the sheer happiness you will get at seeing them after the time apart.