life with apraxia

Yes, I May Have Apraxia But No, It Doesn't Define Me

I am just like you...

529

For those of you who have been following my journey for a little while on here, you know that I typically write about what's on my mind about love, technology, and sometimes about my favorite shows. But today right at this moment I decided to dig a little deeper into part of who I am. I hope this article inspires you to never be afraid to be yourself and to allow others the time that they need to get stuff done.

I think by now you are probably wondering what in the sam heck apraxia is and that is totally OK for you to ask. Apraxia is essentially the inability to carry out certain tasks as others can. For me, I did struggle with saying certain words growing up, so I did have to take speech classes to correct it. But what I really struggled more with was with driving and dancing. Driving for me was always a challenge because I always had to go over stuff more than others and I sometimes felt like I had no clue what I was doing when taking the tests even though I had practiced over and over until I thought I had it. It is super frustrating to know that it was right at my fingertips but I just couldn't quite get it at first.

I eventually was able to get more driving experience after I got my license but it was the dancing that took more out of me because I had to overlearn dance steps when it came to being in musicals in high school. That's when apraxia took over more and it was a struggle bus trying to get on the same page as my cast members in the shows. I remember just feeling really down about not being able to get the steps right, but I also remember picking myself back up after and asking for help to get a little more practice. My first show was "Annie" my freshman year of high school and toward the end of one of the shows I was actually awarded MVC (most valuable chorus member), and that truly meant a lot to me at the time because all throughout I thought my work with my dancing was a hot mess.

Over the years I have learned that my hot mess self can handle anything it comes across. It just may mean that certain things that I do may need more time and dedication. It doesn't mean that I can't do certain things, it just means that I may not be as quick to complete a task like a friend of mine would. Every day I am learning and growing with my apraxia and I know that there are many more challenges to face with my family and friends of course.