6 Apps To Help You Plan A Last-Minute Vacation
Travel

You love to travel, but you hate planning ahead. Here are six apps to help you plan a last-minute vacation.

40

A bit of spontaneity is fantastic every once in a while. Whether you have a brief break in the semester schedule or want to plan a weekend getaway during a rare period of free time, your decision to go on a last-minute trip could help you feel refreshed and hit the reset button on a life that might feel too monotonous.

Here are six apps you should download before embarking on a last-minute jaunt.

1. Roadtrippers

This app helps you discover the best of what to do in your destination. It's equally useful for planning an itinerary if you drive or fly to get there.

However, there are a few features geared toward people traveling in cars, such as an option to put in your starting and ending points and seeing a list of the attractions you could stop at along the way.

Also, if you research some things on the website version of Roadtrippers, any plans made or things saved there get automatically synced to the app. (Free with a premium subscription available)

2. App in the Air

Start using this app to plan all things related to your air travel after booking your flight. It gives you details about weather conditions, airplane amenities and airport maps.

Tips from travelers help you get an insider's perspective of the airport, too, such as which coffee shops are open in the wee hours to provide your morning buzz.

There is even an augmented reality (AR) feature that lets you compare the size of your bag to the space in the cabin, which is helpful when figuring out which carry-on bag to bring. You can check in for the flight through the app, too. (Free with a premium subscription available)

3. PackPoint

Packing is something you have to accomplish before going somewhere, but most people see it as a chore rather than something enjoyable. You may not ever view filling your suitcase as something fun, but PackPoint helps you do it in a more orderly way that avoids forgetting essentials.

It checks the weather in your destination and helps you decide what to pack based on the length of your trip and what you'll be doing while away.

The app can also generate a personalized URL so friends you're traveling with can see what you packed and choose similar things to put in their baggage. The packing list features items by category, making it easier to assess the packing specifics. ($2.99)

4. HotelTonight

After deciding where to travel, securing your accommodations is likely the next step. HotelTonight gives you appealing last-minute deals on rooms. Even though you can book further in advance, some hotels listed in the app give same-day deals that could help you save money on the overall cost of your trip.

An in-app concierge feature helps you get your bearings after arriving at the property, too. Need a recommendation for where to grab dinner? Just ask in that part of the app.

HotelTonight has room categories, too. Whether you're on a tight budget or can afford to splurge thanks to some birthday cash from your parents, the app helps you get the room specifics sorted. If you're traveling with others and need multiple rooms, no worries. You can get them all in a single booking for convenience. (Free)

5. Ship Mate

Is there a cruise in your future? Ship Mate helps keep the anticipation level high as you count down the days until setting sail.

The countdown won't be a very long one for a last-minute trip, but seeing the short time remaining on a counter could help you feel more energized as you finish your last obligations during the few days before going on board. You can share the countdown tracker to social media, too.

If you're still looking for a cruise deal, the app shows price alerts. Once you know the details of your vessel, the app lets you take a virtual tour of each level and get acquainted with the activities there. Ship Mate also has details about your excursions, which could make it easier to discover what to do once the ship docks.

If you're going solo on the cruise and miss the social aspect of chatting about an upcoming trip with your friends, there are Roll Call and Chat features so you can connect with other people going on the cruise and talk to them beforehand. (Free)

6. Tripcoin

Traveling at the last minute doesn't typically give you an excuse to spend without restraint.

Tripcoin is an iOS app that allows setting a daily budget for each day of your trip and watching a graph to see if you stay within the intended range. You can create spending categories and confirm preferred payment methods before leaving home, too.

A color-coded system helps you see at a glance where most of your money goes once your trip starts. Then, if needed, you can make quick adjustments to activities to keep your spending in check. (Free)

Take Control of Your Last-Minute Trip

Many people love getting immersed in what happens after they reach their destinations but feel a bit overwhelmed by the planning that happens before that.

If you can relate, these apps will help you get organized and stay informed. Then, you'll feel more relaxed and ready for adventure upon arrival.