6 Apps That Can Help You Find Your Dream Roommate

Don't get stuck with a psycho, do your research first!

146
https://www.pexels.com/photo/two-women-s-gray-and-red-flut-knit-caps-919374/

For a lot of people, going to college means getting a roommate. Thankfully, the age of the internet has made that process much easier than it used to be.

Instead of asking friends to spread the word or posting ads around campus, there are tons of sites and apps that can match you up with a good roommate.

If you’re still on the fence, take some time to sit down and really consider whether or not you absolutely need a roommate. (Some of us are just happier living by ourselves!)

If you’re all in, start checking out the resources below:

1. PadMapper

Back before apps became so easily accessible, people tried to find new roommates online through Craigslist. You’d have to see an ad that looked right, find out where it was on a map and then decide where to go from there.

Now, PadMapper has taken over the top spot from Craigslist because it maps out all the roommate ads for you on its app. It’s known for presenting data in an easily customizable way, which is why so many people use it to make connections with potential roommates.

2. Roomster

Another website people used to use to announce their need for a roommate was Facebook, since everyone was making profiles and could easily share posts.

Roomster saw this activity and created an app that allows users to log in with their Facebook and create posts of up to 10,000 words to increase the chances of finding a person they match with.

It makes the top of roommate finding app articles, so it’s worth checking out after you read all the buzz it’s created.

3. Roomsurf

The most traditional situation where people need roommates is when they go off to college. As a freshman, you’re experiencing an entirely new world you don’t exactly know how to navigate, which is why Roomsurf makes the roommate finding process so much easier.

It’s an app devoted to freshmen that uses a questionnaire to find out more about you and what you’re looking for. It’s even partnered with some schools to give users access for free, but for others, there’s a one-time $20 fee.

4. Roomi

One fear that people usually have when it comes to finding a roommate is that they’ll fall for a scam post. People put up scam posts that will advertise they’re looking for someone to come live with them. However, the people who respond are pushed to pay charges up front only to find out there isn’t actually a place to live.

If this is a concern of yours, check out Roomi. Every post on their site goes through a screening test so they can filter out anything that looks suspicious.

Anyone can make an account, post a listing and start messaging people, which is why it’s one of the best roommate finder apps. There’s also an option to pay a fee to boost your listing to the top of the search results for your area. If you’re under a time crunch, that might be something that helps you narrow down your options.

5. LiveWith

A worry you might find yourself having as you continue to look through roommate apps is wondering if you’ll waste time using the wrong app. What if you think a certain one is right for you when really a different one would work better for your area or situation? LiveWith will step in and wipe all those worries away.

It’s an app that has the usual process of posting a listing or making an account so you can get your presence started on the site.

Then, if you post that you need a roommate, you can choose to share your ad with not only LiveWith users, but on external sites as well, like Craigslist. This will open up your audience to users on all different kinds of platforms, so you’ll rest easy knowing that plenty of people will see and possibly respond to your post.

6. HutHunt

HutHunt is a completely free resource that will connect you with people looking for a place to live.

You can even use the map feature to find other apartments that need someone to move in with them, if you’re able to leave where you are now. Especially for those living in bigger cities, HutHunt is an excellent option to try your luck with.

Whether this is your first time looking for a roommate or you’ve done this a thousand times before, using apps to link you with the perfect person to live with is one of the top ways to fill that extra bedroom in your apartment.

See which apps have features that would help you the most, and then you can even make an account on two or three of them. Give it time so you can really talk with those people who respond and meet up with them to get a feel for who they are.

You’ll find your roommate in no time.