apps for college students

10 Apps Every College Student NEEDS On Their Phone

We're attached to our phones all the time anyways, so we might as well make the best use out of them.

146
https://unsplash.com/photos/vZdCNTsQkec

Phones are some of the greatest tools in the world, and we have access to them 24/7, which can be a blessing and a curse. College is a time of growth and learning, and with that comes some added responsibilities. As much as you would like to, you can't survive off of Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat forever. There are so many amazing apps out there that have so many uses and you can start using them now in this weird transitional period of life. It's time to branch out from the traditional apps and get some apps that you will really be thankful for in the long run.

1. Duolingo

Duolingo is an amazing app that allows anyone to learn languages, starting at the most basic level. Whether you want to brush up on your Spanish or start to learn French before you study abroad, you can start whenever you want and do as much (or as little) as you want per day. Also, it's free, so there's no excuse to not give it a try and learn something new.

2. Collect

College is full of tons of memories and times of change, and in a time where social media portrays everyone's "happiest" moments, Collect is for that and so much more. It is a place where you can take a photo every single day, so you can imagine the ups and downs each photo shows. I have been taking a picture every day for more than three years, and it is so fun looking back on each day and sharing memories with people.

3. Buzzfeed

Sure, Buzzfeed is a source for news articles and opinionated pieces, but the main reason I use the app is for the entertainment. Any time I am bored, I find myself taking quiz after quiz – it can be addicting! I also love watching Tasty videos to get great recipe ideas, but also just because I find it oddly relaxing to watch cooking videos.

4. Dark Sky

It may sound like such a "dad move" to check the weather, but when you have a class all the way across campus, the last thing you want is to be stuck in a rain shower with no preparation. Get in the habit of checking the weather every day so you can check for rain, but you can also know how hot/cold it is and prepare for that as well.

5. Pinterest

Yes, Pinterest may have peaked a few years ago, but it's still alive and well. I love Pinterest for finding style ideas, quotes, or ways to stay organized, and the boards are such a great way to save all of your ideas to their own spots for you to find later. This is great for when you're looking for something specific, or even for when you're bored and just want to browse.

6. Venmo

You've probably heard of this app, since its popularity has really increased with in the past couple of years, but it really is a necessity for college students. It is so convenient for going out to eat, splitting Ubers and so much more. It allows you to pay people back and have people pay you, so there's no more excuse for "not having the cash" to pay someone back because Venmo takes care of all that.

7. Flipboard

This app may also sound boring, but as someone who likes to keep up on current events, this is my favorite way to make sure I'm in the loop. It is like other news apps, but it also allows you to pick your top interests, so the headlines you receive are more relevant to you. I also like having the notifications on for this app because it sends me breaking news for all important events.

8. Solitaire

This is a new favorite game, and it has become an obsession. It's similar to the old solitaire game everyone knows, but this has challenges and levels and it's definitely a go—to for when I'm bored and want to play a game.

9. Waze

Sure, the regular Maps app will do the trick, but ever since I started using Waze, I haven't been able to use any other navigation app. It's the most accurate one I've used and it also tells you if there's debris on the road, a car stopped ahead, or major traffic. It's also really easy to use and understand which is important when you're in a hurry.

10. Yelp

Oddly enough, Yelp might be one of my favorite apps on my phone. My friends make fun of me for having it, but when we can't decide on a restaurant, I'm able to find great ones around us based on reviews and ratings. It's especially useful when you're going to college in a new city and want recommendations for anything from a smoothie place to a nail salon. I check Yelp for everything because it answers every question I have.