To The People Who Made Me The Person I Am Today

All the things I don't want you to forget while I'm away

378

Dear Mom,

Yes, I do miss you. It's hard being so many miles away from my best friend. Not hearing "you and your mom are twins," once a week gets a little weird. I miss our lunch dates and I miss being able to yell "mom!" a million times from upstairs before you can hear me.

Being at school is hard, especially being so far away from you.

I try not to let my anxiety get the best of me but when it does I have to be ok with a phone call from you to calm me down. And that's definitely harder than you coming to talk to me in person. I remember when I was younger I would get annoyed when you would call every hour asking me what I was doing.

But now the roles are reversed and I even call to tell you I can't find my favorite leggings. Knowing there's no way you could possibly know where they are.

I'm learning to do everything on my own now. No, my room isn't clean all the time and sometimes I forget about my laundry that was in the washer. Since I'm growing up I know that sometimes you think I don't need you anymore, and sometimes I might act like it. But you'll forever be my go-to person.

Dear Dad,

I can't tell you how much I miss watching football with you every Sunday. Sunday's are now taken up by mostly homework and little football.

Even though you hate when I call and the first thing I say is "there's something wrong with my car," I know you love it at the same time.

Being this far away it teaches you a lot about what you miss from home. I miss our inside jokes cause let's be honest when I try to explain them to my friends they look at me like I have multiple heads. It's different getting advice from a phone call rather than you coming to my room to help me through my problems but it'll have to do for now.

Even though you get mad at me when I don't always answer my phone when you call you to have to remember that I'm busy too and it isn't on purpose.

I always look back on the times when I was little and we would hang out every day. Although that's not the case anymore (and I know we both wish it was) I'll forever be your little girl and our bond is unbreakable.

But most importantly, someday I'm going to look back and be able to say these were the best years of my life. You are the ones that made that possible.