We Should Appreciate Being Home From College

I get to be surrounded by the people, places and things that I miss so, so dearly while I'm at school.

9

Even before you pack up your last box to move out of school for the summer, you already begin to miss the place that you now call home.

Before you even drive off of campus, you already long to be back with your college friends who, once you're all gone, will likely be scattered all over instead of calling your name from down the hall.

Before you even step foot back into your house, you're already vying for the horrible cafeteria food, the late night quad walks and the excessive amount of time you spend with your best friends getting ready to go out on the weekends.

Being back at home in your childhood bed and running into people you don't talk to anymore from high school sucks.

Being back at home just isn't the same.

Everyone knows that.

I'll admit that long before finals even rolled around back in May, I was already looking forward to unpacking all of my stuff in my new room, being back with all of my friends and even eating the cafeteria food that I otherwise have no qualms about complaining about.

My college is my home.

But something I've realized while back in my hometown this summer is that I need to appreciate my time home a little more.

When I'm home, I'm surrounded by my family and friends I don't get to see while I'm away.

I get to eat home cooked meals and visit all my favorite spots around my hometown.

I get to have sleepovers with my best friend and cuddle with my cat.

I get to spend days upon days at the beach.

Sure, I want to be back at school. I can't wait for the day I get to move back in.

But, I'm happy being home right now, too, and I've decided that I'm going to appreciate my time here much more than I have been, and you should, too!