To Anyone Who Is Feeling Homesick At College

You aren't alone, and it won't last forever

687
Lovianna Blackwell

If you're homesick you've heard this before, but here it is again: it gets better. It's only been said a thousand times because it's the truth. Whether it's your bed, parents, siblings or pets, there's something you miss when you're away for a while. There are so many things to do in college to keep your mind off of how much you miss home.

Finding some familiar faces is one of the best ways to aid your homesickness. Not everyone has the luxury of going to college with their best friend, but having people to help you enjoy a new environment is so important. Don't hesitate to make plans with those people who went to your high school but you weren't very close with. Being with anyone who understands the distance and major differences between college and home is great. If they're homesick too, it's kind of awesome because you get to have support and give it back.

If there isn't anyone at all you know, there's still someone who knows your struggle and wants to help. Of all the people at your college, there has to be at least one meant to make you feel more at home. It could be your roommate, classmate, or a person in the same organization as you. Make plans, go have fun and find the free stuff to do or eat together, there's something cool happening all the time. Take your mind off of what you miss and make room for what you'll grow to love.

The desire to call home varies from person to person. If it helps, talk on the phone all day about whatever. No one is going to judge you if you want to talk to your mom about what she's cooking for dinner and how you tripped on your way to class and everyone saw. Or talk to your dad about the weather at home and Sunday's football games. Chat with your grandma who's just checking in to make sure you're eating well and that you're really happy. If your sister wants to tell you about the boy picking on her because he thinks she's cute, talk about it. Talk to your aunt about her plants. They miss you just as much as you miss them, maybe even more. It isn't quite the same as being there, but it's a good way to fix homesickness.

Don't go home right away thinking you hate where you are. Give it time. The first few weekends at college are supposed to be great. If you can hold off, you should. Make the most of your time away. However, if you can't stand to stay another week away, by all means, go home. Being homesick can drain you and leave you feeling unhealthy. Find a way to be happy and comfortable. Hopefully, you can learn to love your new place.

Use this time to find yourself. You have so much time to go out and explore new things and experiences. There are clubs and organizations that can pique your interest. Familiarize yourself with what will help you get well acquainted. You may find things you never would've thought would make your stay even more amazing than you expected.

Just know, if you're homesick now, or have ever been, you aren't being crazy. It happens and it is so normal. Pretty soon you'll forget your first few nervous weeks and you'll miss your college when you go home. And once again, it gets better!