How To Deal With Anxiety Before Starting College
Health Wellness

If You Are Having Anxiety About Starting College, It's OK, You're Not Alone

We're all feeling the same things.

314
Baylor Line Camp
Ashley Brooke Boyd

I move-in to my dorm in a few weeks, and although I am super excited, I am extremely anxious to no longer live with my parents and have to do everything on my own. Don't get me wrong, I cook for myself and do my own laundry, but not 100% of the time. So if you are anxious about starting college and moving out, you aren't alone!!

I think the biggest fear I have is being a failure once I graduate. I'm also worried I won't make friends, that I won't do well in my classes, and that I won't be able to manage my time well. I've sat in my room and cried because I am so stressed out at the thought of my future. But God knows the plans He has for me (read Jeremiah 29:11), and He will bring them to completion (read Philippians 1:6). This summer, I've really had to rest in knowing that God knows what He is doing.

I'm scared, but I'm incredibly excited to see what is in store for me. College is a time to discover yourself and make mistakes along the way. We all mess up. But mistakes are what help us learn, so don't be anxious about failing. Easy to say, I know, but seriously, I'm sure college is going to be great. I have talked to many new freshmen and they are all saying the same thing, "I'm anxious but excited."

Anxiety is normal. You are leaving your comfort zone that you've had for 18ish years. But what you don't need to do is wallow in it. As someone who has anxiety and depression, this is hard for me, but I've tried to focus on all the good that is coming. Get involved in a couple clubs. Set specific study times and stick to them. Take time for yourself. Everything is gonna be OK! Good luck to all my fellow freshmen starting school in a few weeks!