My High School Tutor Got Me To College When I Had Cancer

There were days when we worked for four or five hours.

331
Kayla Brown

Four years ago, tenth grade was a hell filled with doctor appointments, chemotherapy and school (when I wasn't puking my guts up or sleeping for hours.)

Originally, you became my tutor because I couldn't stand school with my concussion, one of the worst to date. By January, my headaches became the least of my worries when I was diagnosed with cancer.

My parents, my doctors and I decided that I should continue being homebound tutored for the rest of the year. Often times when kids go through cancer treatment, their schooling is put on hold or lessened temporarily.

But I decided I'd at least try and you were along for the ride.

I did what I could when I could, whether it be taking a test in the dining room with your assistance or pouring over math with a chemo drip in my port.

Neither of us completely understood the stuff so we were learning as we went, which is harder than you think when it comes to tenth-grade work.

There were days when we worked for four or five hours because I was feeling okay. We worked through dinner and my siblings' games.

Almost every day that you came I completed some sort of work that was to be turned in as soon as possible. However, as the school year went on and I began getting more side effects, my work slowed down a little.

Not significantly, just a little. But it was enough for me to fall behind.

The work I received from my teachers slowed down to a trickle until almost nothing came through. I didn't know why because we were still doing our part.

Shortly after, I found out that my teachers had given up on me, assuming I'd just repeat the tenth grade. They clearly didn't know me.

After we had a long talk with the counselor, I was given until August to finish my school work or I'd have to repeat the grade. You showed up at my house almost every day over the summer, even though you could've been doing so many other things and we finished tenth grade.

By the end of the school year, you felt like part of the family. My family and I can't thank you enough for everything you did.

If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be in my sophomore year of college pursuing a career in journalism.

If it wasn't for you, I'd have repeated tenth grade.

If it wasn't for you, the teachers would've been right in giving up on me.

If it wasn't for you, I don't know where I'd be.

Thank you so much.

media.giphy.com

Love,

A Sophomore In College Who Wouldn't Be Here Without You