Why Anti-Abortion Laws Are Unconstitutional And God Does Not Support Them

Former pro-life supporter's take on choice.

187
www.istockphoto.com

As a former pro-life woman raised in a conservative Southern Baptist home, I am sad and enraged at the recent anti-abortion bills and laws that have been passed.

Not only are these laws unconstitutional, but many supporters of anti-abortion legislation justify their beliefs in the name God.

Over the past year, Alabama, Mississippi, Ohio, Georgia, Kentucky, Arkansas, Utah, Iowa, and Missouri have all passed anti-abortion legislation and Louisiana, South Carolina, West Virginia, Florida, and Texas are all currently working to pass anti-abortion laws.

These attempts at limiting the freedoms of American women are a direct attack against the 1973 Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade and the United States Constitution.

The Supreme Court ruled that Americans' right to privacy included the right of a woman to decide whether to have children and the right of a woman and her doctor to make that decision without state interference. Many anti-abortion politicians are hoping this new legislation will overturn Roe v. Wade.

Many politicians and supporters of anti-abortion legislation justify their beliefs in the name of their religion.

In fact, Alabama Governor Ivey signed the law saying it "stands as a powerful testament to Alabamians' deeply held belief that every life is precious, that every life is a sacred gift from God."

As many of us know, the United States Constitution calls for a separation of church and state. This statement made by Governor Ivey sure sounds like religion was a big part of his decision.

Limited access to birth control, abortion, and contraceptives are not new concepts. Religious institutions have supported limited access because they believe sex outside of marriage is wrong.

There is nothing wrong with this belief, but there is something wrong with projecting these personal and religious beliefs onto others--especially when it takes away their right to personal freedom.

As a former pro-life believer, I never truly thought of the millions of women affected by unwanted pregnancies. I was only focused on what God would want me to think about the issue.

The Bible never directly addresses the issue of abortion; however, it does say "Thou shalt not kill." The Bible also includes many murders committed in the name of God and many more contradictions throughout the entire scripture.

According to the Bible, life begins at birth--when a baby draws its first breath.

The bible defines life as "breath" in several significant passages, including the story of Adam's creation in Genesis 2:7, when God "breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

Jewish law traditionally considers that personhood begins at birth. So now that we've cleared up when life begins, abortion is a fundamental, Constitutional right.

Throughout history, women have been patronized and forced into submission by misogynistic men who believe they have God's given right to make decisions that concern women.

This is downright wrong! We are living in a new world where women are no longer owned by their guardians--a world where women have the right to make decisions about their own bodies.

Women are inherently responsible for any baby they choose to bring into this world, men are not. Therefore, men have no right to speak on behalf of what decisions women legally have the right to make.

You may disagree with abortion, and that's OK. No one is forcing you to get one. But yes, I deserve to have the right to get any medical procedure done if I believe that's the best thing for myself. God believes in freedom of choice and so should you.