Another Day

FADE IN:

EXT. MADISON, GEORGIA. GRAVEYARD. DUSK

Rain is pouring all around black tents. There are a handful of people standing underneath them and a few standing outside of the tents with black umbrellas. Each person with their head looking down. A young woman, EMILIA, is standing close to a casket. One hand gently placed on top of the casket while the other hand covers her mouth. She is clearly sobbing. As the rest of the congregation begins to leave, Emilia is still standing there. RILEY, comes up to her and hugs her, a sign that it is time to go. Emilia hesitates, but walks away; her tears are pouring harder than the rain. Both Emilia and Riley get into a car and drive away, Emilia still staring out of the window. Riley places her hand onto Emilia's.

INT. RILEY'S CAR. -- SECONDS LATER

RILEY
Emilia. I know this isn't going to be easy, but I want to let you know that I will be there for you every step of the way –

EMILIA
I know you will be, that's why you're my best friend.

RILEY
And that's what I am here for, but you didn't let me finish. I know that this may seem too soon, but I think it would be a good idea for you to see a grief counselor. They would be able to help with everything. I mean, they are specialized in that.

EMILIA
Oh yes, Riley, that is exactly what I want to do. I want to go speak to some person that I have never met before about my dead brother. This person that has this fancy degree is going to tell me that everything I am going through is normal and I should take some time to grieve. They will then tell me that it is perfectly okay to feel like I want to die. I have heard all of this stuff before Riley. Don't you remember when I had to go see those shrinks when my Dad killed my Mother? So yeah, seeing a grievance counselor isn't necessarily like going to see a friend. While I appreciate the advice, I refuse to go anywhere near a shrink.

RILEY
Well, I didn't say shrink, I said counselor. But okay, I hear you. I am sorry that I even brought it up.

EMILIA
Just take me home.

EXT. JAPAN - NAVY BASE. HOSPITAL.

PATIENTS are all lying around the hospital. By the looks of it, you can tell that they are part of the Navy. JACK is lying in a hospital bed, somewhat in and out of it. His right arm is wrapped in several bandages. As Jack is coming back to, a man walks towards him and stops at his bed. He throws a packet of papers onto Jack's bed. Jack seems confused.

MAN
We are discharging you from the Navy. These are your discharge papers. You were a good man Dwyer, but we can't have someone like you out there.

JACK
Someone like me?

MAN
Someone who is seemingly depressed at all times. Someone who tried to take their own life once more.

Jack is weak, therefore his voice shakes. He hasn't gotten all of his strength back and he is still somewhat confused.

JACK
But what will I do? Where will I go?

MAN
Where is home?

JACK
Madison, Georgia, sir.

MAN
Then it sounds like to me that you will be going right back to Madison, Georgia. Now listen, my advice is that once you get back home, you will get yourself some help. You're a good man and I know you have a good head on those shoulders, but there is something that is blocking that good head of yours up there.

JACK
What do you mean help? Do you suggest I go to the insane asylum?

MAN
No boy, I never said that. I said you needed help. Now, my wife's sister was just like you. She was depressed and had no will to live, but when we took her to the doctor, they gave her some meds and then set her up with a counselor. Ya know, one of those shrink people for your head that can help you clear some stuff up. Now, I'm not saying you have to go see those shrinks, but I would advise it.

JACK
Yes, sir.

The man turns around and Jack just looks at the stack of papers. His mind begins to rack up every question he can think of, but none of the words seem to form at his mouth. The man turns back around.

MAN
Dwyer?

JACK
Yes, sir?

MAN
Tell me when you start getting better up there in the head. I want to make sure that one of my best is looked out for, okay?

JACK
That I can do, sir. Thank you for your kind words. I hope to see you on the other side. Ya know, out there on land.

The man laughs and leaves the room. While Jack doesn't want to leave the Navy, a smile comes across his face. He realizes that he is finally free.