9 Non-Mainstream Anime Recommendations

9 Non-Mainstream Anime Recommendations

Here's nine more you should check out.

8189
9 Non-Mainstream Anime Recommendations
Comic vine

It's been a while since I've written an anime-related article, let alone an anime recommendation list. So, without further ado, here are nine more anime you should definitely check out.

1. "The Devil is a Part-Timer"

I'm not entirely sure why I didn't include this in my first round of anime recs. This one's actually in my top 10 list of all-time favorites mostly for the comedy. During the middle of a battle, Satan and his chief adviser are forced to flee their world, Ente Isla. They wind up on earth and learn quickly that you need money to survive in this world. So the devil winds up working at McRonald's. Sound kinda ridiculous, right? It's even crazier than it sounds. The plot thickens and comedy ensues when more characters from Ente Isla show up. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of action scenes, but the ones that are present are amazing. Definitely worth a watch.

2. "Snow White With the Red Hair"

Believe it or not, there's actually an anime with a strong female lead who eventually enters a healthy relationship with the love of her life. This anime is adorable, and Shiriyuki, the protagonist, is as inspiring as they come.

3. "Bungou Stray Dogs"

Follow the story of Atsushi, an orphan who doesn't realize the power he possesses. He joins the Armed Protection Agency and fights with other super-powered humans to protect Japan from a league of villains known as the Port Mafia. One cool thing about this show is that each of the characters represents a different Japanese literary figure or one of the characters in their stories. The action scenes, humor, protagonist's character growth and plot progression are all amazing in this series. The plot twists and reveals will keep drawing you back.

4. "Planetarian"

This anime's set in a post-apocalyptic world where Junkers try to salvage whatever they can find just to survive. One day, a Junker stumbles across an old science museum where a robot assistant still waits for customers to come view the planetarium exhibit. This show is short, sweet and heartwarming. You'll want to go star-gazing after you watch this one.

5. "Puella Magi Madoka Magica"

Follow the story of these adorable magic girls in their battle against witches bent on causing chaos and destruction. I mean, just look at the pic. They all look happy. So it must be a happy story, right? Right?

6. "Ookami San and Her Seven Companions"

This one was recommended to me by a friend. My only complaint is that there isn't a season 2. This anime features Ookami-San, a strong female fighter who can hold her own. Enter Ryoushi, a boy who's madly in love with her and wants nothing more than to have her back when she needs it. But is she just too strong-willed to let him help her? Or is there something else that makes her reluctant to trust him? This show's a fun ride, but it does deal with a heavy topic. And the narration is priceless.

7. "Guilty Crown"

Ever feel like some people can see into your soul? Well, in this anime, the main character can do that by pulling your soul's essence out of you. And then use it as a tool or weapon. It's actually pretty awesome. The fight scenes, character development, plot progression, and even soundtrack are all amazing. Definitely one you'll wanna binge watch.

8. "Psycho Pass"

Looking for a more mature anime to watch? Check this one out. It's got the action and suspense of a good crime drama with the complexity of the Matrix intertwined throughout the story. You can't casually watch this one. With its dense rhetoric and subject matter, you'll wanna give this anime your full attention.

9. "Space Dandy"

"From the creator of 'Cowboy Bebop' and Samurai Champloo" should be enough to grab your attention for this one. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll contemplate life. Chain breastaurants and general ridiculousness aside, this anime has a lot more depth than you'd realize at first glance. And it even references Bebop throughout the series. This Sci-Fi comedy definitely deserves more attention.