Watch These Animated Music Videos NOW

10 Animated Music Videos You'll Wish You Watched Sooner

They'll make you wonder why we even film live music videos at all.

367
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwTjmRzpJtr_dJFB8vhSeXhztActJN9u7

Animation is one of the most difficult forms of visual artistic presentation; not only does it require skill, but animators need endless patience to withstand having to draw frame after frame of the same scene, making minute changes until the layers can be compiled into a fluid moving picture. But it's also incredibly liberating: animators get to watch their favorite creations come to life, unrestrained by the laws of physics or the limits of the human body. Their passion, while sometimes looked down upon because it is not viewed as "high art," entertains and inspires millions around the globe daily.

Combine that kind of freedom with awesome music, and the end result? Totally badass.

SIAMÉS - "The Wolf"

SIAMÉS - "The Wolf" [Official Animated Music Video], YouTube

A true rock epic about the beastly side of love and the obsession it can drive us to, SIAMÉS drives their message home with electronic refrains and a powerful, pulsing rhythm. Laid over an angular, monochromatic action sequence worthy of a big-screen debut - complete with motorcycles, car crashes, chase scenes, and a harrowing rescue - this video is a pump-up track you'll be watching on repeat.

Delta Heavy - White Flag (Official Video)

Delta Heavy - White Flag (Official Video), YouTube/VEVO

A bass-filled electronic ballad with a positively wicked drop, this amped-up track is perfect for workout fuel or a banger of a party. Musical duo Delta Heavy combines heavenly vocals and an ethereal melody with a quick tempo that climbs and drops dramatically, to incredible effect. On top of this, the video is a pixel art masterpiece in two acts that parodies both religion and the old-school RPG aesthetic it uses to depict the attempts made by Satan, Lucifer himself...to apologize to God. Blasphemous? Maybe, but you'll have to watch it yourself to find out.

Snail's House - Pixel Galaxy

Snail's House - Pixel Galaxy (Official MV)

Futurebass is a relatively obscure subgenre of electronic music often characterized by its lilting melodies, computerized sound, and kawaii auditory aesthetic; Ujico*/Snail's House is one of the masters. Inspired by kawaii Japanese culture and video game soundtracks, Snail's House is a one-man band and production studio based in Japan who shares his content exclusively over the internet. His single "Pixel Galaxy", released in April of 2017, is an instrumental utopia of sound, peaking with celestial highs over booming bass. The wordless story follows the mundane life of a Japanese woman who works in an office by day and performs at a nightclub after the sun goes down. Wishing for something a little magic to give her back the childlike wonder she misses in life, she gets a bit more than she asked for when the adorable Snail's House mascot - a pink and purple snail-girl hybrid - shows up in her bed and needs help getting home to her castle in the sky.

Fever The Ghost - SOURCE

Fever The Ghost - SOURCE (Official Video), Felix Colgrave, YouTube

If you're in the mood for something out of the ordinary, however, psychedelic indie rock bop "SOURCE" by alternative band Fever The Ghost is about as far outside the boundaries of ordinary as it gets. Experimental sound with a fantastic bassline and nearly-incomprehensible vocals characterize this progressive psych-pop mosaic of a song, and on top of Australian animator Felix Colgrave's intense, colorful and utterly surreal art, SOURCE becomes a trip you won't easily forget.

Caravan Palace - Lone Digger

Caravan Palace - Lone Digger, YouTube

Time for a blast from the past! Caravan Palace is an electro-swing band based in Paris that made a splash in the American alternative market with their debut album, Caravan Palace. With a style that marries explosive big band brass and the beat of a modern pop hit, their music is positively addictive and can get anyone dancing. The video is even more enticing - set in what looks like the dark underbelly of Zootopia, the color-blocked neon vignette explores what happens when cats and dogs go at each other's throats in a world where it's every beast for himself...

Studio Killers - Eros and Apollo

Studio Killers - Eros and Apollo (Official Music Video) [HD]

Studio Killers are an especially fitting entry for this list, since not only is this video animated, the whole band is, too! A euro-pop sensation that hit it out of the park with their single "Ode to the Bouncer", the identities of the vocalist, keyboardist, and DJ behind the Studio Killers are still anonymous - but that doesn't make their music and art any less stunning! Eros and Apollo is the cautionary tale for every girl smitten by that "perfect guy" whose attention they just can't seem to grab, and with the unique blend of pixel art, vibrant colors, and aesthetic inspiration from Mexico's Dia de Los Muertos, you'll easily find yourself mesmerized by this breathtaking ballad.

TWRP and Ninja Sex Party - The Hit

TWRP - The Hit feat. Ninja Sex Party (Official Video)

TWRP, or TupperWare Remix Party, is a Canadian band who've created a retro-punk rock fantasy land with their outlandish stage personalities and traditional instrumental production (that's right - no computers here!). For this song, they teamed up with American musical comedy duet Ninja Sex Party, whose work chronicles the misguided, hapless and even cringy efforts of the band's vocalist and self-proclaimed sex god Danny Sexbang to pick up chicks; The Hit is no different. Another fabulous story told through the magic of pixel art, the video opens with Danny laying the moves on a smokin' Hollywood babe...only to be captured by a nasty biker gang with a vendetta just before the real fun starts! What lengths will his true love go to in order to get back her man? Hint: it involves a badass female lead take the role of knight in shining armor.

Childish Gambino - Feels Like Summer

Childish Gambino - Feels Like Summer, YouTube/VEVO

Everyone's heard of comedian Donald Glover's alter-ego and alternative rap/hip-hop star Childish Gambino, but did you know he's diving into the animated music video market, too? After his conscientious summer smash hit, "This is America," Gambino wasn't going to stop at just hard-hitting messages and funky backup dancers; Feels Like Summer takes a lo-fi, reggae pop sound and drapes it elegantly over an equal parts funny and touching gallery of his life as an insider of the hip-hop "neighborhood". Viewers might be surprised at how many familiar faces they can spot in the neighbors as Gambino strolls down the sunset-bathed streets of this summer track.

DyE - Fantasy

DyE - Fantasy - Official Video, YouTube

Fair warning: this video isn't for the faint of heart.

What starts out as an innocent and classic coming-of-age trope about a few rebellious teenagers breaking into an indoor pool, drinking and exploring what young love means quickly turns grisly as an unknown monster feeding off of their hormone-fueled actions overtakes the group, wrecking gory havoc on the midnight swim party. If you think you can handle it, watching the horror movie-worthy sequence to the backdrop of DyE's sleepy rock jam replete with floating vocals and heavy guitar gives you a surreal peek into what the nightmares of pubescent teens are made of.

Porter Robinson & Madeon - Shelter

Porter Robinson & Madeon - Shelter (Official Video) (Short Film with A-1 Pictures & Crunchyroll)

Are you ready to cry? Because this video made me cry.

Porter Robinson is arguably one of the most influential electronica artists of this decade, and he's not even 30. His debut album, Worlds, along with his breakout track "Sad Machine" skyrocketed Robinson's popularity until new music and a tour were in high demand. After what seemed to be a momentary lull in activity from Robinson, he and fellow artist Madeon released "Shelter," a simple song with all the electronic staples - vocals modded into background melody, a rhythm that could fit into any 80's Top 40 hit and synthesizers for every instrument - but the real magic was in the video. The song is set over the heart-wrenching story of a genius father forced to make a tough decision when an unstoppable asteroid is projected to hit the earth and bring about the end of the world, and the amazing fantasy in which he shelters his most precious possession: his own daughter. The lyrics suddenly blossom with new meaning over this anime short film and magnum opus produced with the help of artists at A-1 Pictures and Crunchyroll.