Five Animated Films I Shouldn't Like

Five Animated Films I Shouldn't Like

Bad movie night?

25
Five Animated Films I Shouldn't Like
Google Images

Have you ever loved a movie that everyone just seemed to hate? Like when you walk out of a movie with friends and everyone's complaining about how awful it was, but you're in the background awkwardly mumbling to yourself, "Well...I liked it"? Yeah, that happens to me more often than it should. I just have a knack for finding the "good" in every film, no matter how bad it is. Except "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (live action)...we don't talk about that sin against nature. That being said, there are some pretty stupid movies out there, but those same stupid movies are stupid enough to provide some type of entertainment. If anything, they're fun to make fun of. So, here's my list of movies I shouldn't like.

1. The Lion King II: Simba's Pride:

Starting my list is the sequel to one of the greatest, if not the greatest, animated film of all time. The first film is, hands down, amazing! I might be bias then when I say I actually like the sequel. A lot of people do, actually, which is unusual for a Disney sequel. Why do we like it when logic dictates we shouldn't? Honestly, while not nearly as epic as the first, it didn't lose all of the magic that made us love the first one. Kiara, Simba's reckless and rambunctious daughter, wants to explore the Pride Lands and be her own lion. She wants to have fun and do whatever she wants, like Simba! When she meets Kovu, a lion from the Outsiders, they form a typical friendship and it's low-key Romeo and Juliet. Years later, the two grow closer, despite Kovu's mission to kill Simba and claim the throne, and the two separate parties come together in harmony.

So, why do I like it? It drew in enough elements from the first without copying itself. Kiara is likable and relatable. Kovu is your typical bad boy who has a pure heart. Simba is the overprotective dad who just wants his daughter to be safe! Best line in the film, "Them, us. Look at them! What differences do you see?" The message is simple and the animation is fairly good, and the music! People sing the music to this day. Overall, it's not bad.

2. The Return of Jafar:

The hated, straight to VHS sequel to Aladdin. Why is it hated? It's complex for no other reason than to bring back a beloved villain. Jafar, my personal favorite Disney villain, is trapped in a genie's lamp with Iago after his defeat in the first film. Okay, whatever. When Iago breaks free and flies away, leaving Jafar behind out of anger and frustration, Iago finds Aladdin and tries to convince him he's changed by accidentally saving his life. With that, Aladdin feels obligated to let Iago back into the palace, but refrains from telling anyone. Meanwhile, the lamp with Jafar is discovered by Abis Mal, an amateur, clumsy thief who does nothing but follow orders and fail. In short, Jafar promises to grant Abis Mal's wishes if he helps him complete his plan of revenge against Aladdin. Meanwhile, Jasmine discovers Aladdin was hiding Iago from her and they have an altercation, but Iago forces them to get back together. Then, Jafar finds Iago, orders him to help betray Aladdin and it works. Aladdin is framed for the murder of the Sultan, who is being held hostage with Jasmine and the Genie, and is saved last minute by Genie Ex Machina. Iago is forgiven when he reveals he released the Genie to save Aladdin, and they forgive him that easily? Genie explains that destroying Jafar's lamp destroys him, blah, blah blah, big battle, Iago kills Jafar.

The problem is obvious. To start, the animation is crap. Go see for yourself. Also, it's convoluted, it's a mess, it's not magical, it's not “Aladdin”. Too much is focused on the on and off redemption of Iago, the undeveloped side characters, and shoving down your throat that Jasmine and Aladdin are a couple. How? They sing a song called "We Can’t Forget about Love" after having an argument mere minutes before. Wow. So why do I like it? It's so stupid that it's entertaining. Jafar is still sassy and it feels like he's putting up with the characters just as much as you are, but he's still Jafar. In short, the only thing I truly like is Jafar, forever and always.

3. Anastasia:

I. Love. This. Movie. End of discussion. This is the story of a young woman who is one of the remaining survivors of the Romanov family after they were killed in the Russian Revolution. She's separated from her grandmother and forced to live in an orphanage until she turns 18. From there, she (now named Anya) is sent away to live on her own and work, only to attempt going to Paris as her only clue to where her family is lies in a necklace that reads "Together in Paris". Meanwhile, con-artists, Dimitri and Vlad are attempting to find the perfect girl to pretend to be the princess Anastasia so they can claim the prize money and be deemed heroes. When they meet Anya and realize she bears a strong resemblance to the princess (noticed when she stands in front of a portrait at the old palace), they decide to humor her in her goal to make it to Paris and find her family. However, the evil Rasputin (the man who orchestrated her family's death) is actively trying to kill her as she journeys on, failing each time. After finding the grandmother and Anya passing the tests required of her, Dimitri realizes that she is the real lost princess and attempts to tell her; only for Anya to discover his plan to use her for his own gain. Long story short, they get over it, Anya is reunited with her family and Rasputin just fails.

Why is this movie so amazing? The story is basic, the romance is cliché, the characters are nothing completely new (but still engaging) and above all its historically inaccurate. So, why do I love this movie? The music. Oh, my goodness, the music is amazing! It's like watching an animated musical and it's great! Sure, the characters could have more personality and the villain could actually be good at his job, but they still get the point across in song. To be fair, if Disney slapped their label on it, then it would have been more popular. It has a princess, an evil magician, romance and an average, but enjoyable plot. It's Disney without the Disney animation. So, I'll say it again, I love the movie.

4. Rock a-Doodle:

I don't even know where to begin with this one. In the shortest possible summery I can, here it is. There's a rooster who believes his crow brings up the sun every morning and that's the only reason the sun rises. When the Duke of Owls (the villain) says enough is enough, he sends a minion to distract the rooster long enough for the sun to come up without him. In shame, he leaves as the farm laughs at him. However, in the real world, it appears it's just a mom reading a story book to her child, Edmund. But as a storm causes Edmund's home to flood, he calls for the rooster, named Chanticleer, to help, only to be met by the Duke. Edmund turns into a cat, the dog, Patou, rescues him and tells Edmund they need to find Chanticleer to bring back the sun. They travel to the city to find he has become an Elvis singer and try to talk to him, only to be thwarted by his manager as he sends in Goldie (a jealous tramp) to distract him. They fall in love (of course), but Edmund still manages to bring Chanticleer home to bring back the sun. The Duke is defeated and Edmund is returned to human form.

That was the short of it. The movie is dumb in every sense and the plot is loose. You can't understand a single thing Edmund says as his voice is high and slurred. Why do I like this movie? It's the kind of film you watch just to make fun of it and I do plenty of that. It's clearly a kids' movie and clearly not something meant for adults' entertainment, but it's watchable. The music, as always, is still catchy and singable. It's a typical "group of friends try to save their home" kind of movie, which is fine. It's not the worst movie I've seen, but not the best.

5. Chicken Run:

So underrated, in my opinion. The movie is about a group of chickens trying to escape a farm where they are forced to give up their eggs in exchange for their lives. Wanting to escape and find happiness, Ginger comes up with multiple plans in order to escape, failing each time. However, when a rooster accidentally crash lands in the farm, and breaks his wing, Ginger wants him to teach them how to fly to safety. He goes along with it in exchange for a hiding place from the circus looking to reclaim him. When the farm owners decide to change their business from eggs to chicken pies, the need to escape becomes more urgent. The rooster saves Ginger from the chicken pie machine and become closer. However, after the devastating news that the rooster, named Rocky, can't actually fly, they build a flying machine. They escape, Rocky returns, and life is great.

This movie is so dark, so emotional, and the setting is fantastic! The design is similar to that of a Nazi concentration camp (as said by artists of the film)! If that doesn't explain the tone of the story, I don't know what will. The characters are forced to watch each other die when they can no longer produce eggs. I mean, you see the chopping block and hear the ax come down!!! Not a children's film by any means, but it's still amazing! The characters are likable, the villains are actually scary and the story (while predictable and obvious) is well delivered! People don't like it because of the dark tone and the dark story line, but I thought it worked. I thought it was different from the other films out at the time and I enjoyed it!