19 Things I Learned From Hearing Angie Thomas Speak

The author of the critically-acclaimed "The Hate U Give" gave a resounding speech at College of Charleston's Sotille Theater.

144

When I first read the novel "The Hate U Give," I was immediately struck by how moving and timely the text was, and how authentic the characters were made out to be.

Originally written in 2017, "The Hate U Give" by debut author Angie Thomas tells the story of a young black girl who witnesses her best friend get shot unjustly by a white police officer. The main character Starr lives in a poor, mostly black neighborhood but attends a rich, mostly white school, and even in just her normal daily life must navigate the differences between the two. This especially becomes difficult when a story of the police shooting breaks and Starr must learn to find her real voice to tell the world her truth.

After winning numerous awards and even a movie adaptation, Angie Thomas still travels the world to tell the story of what brought her to write such an awe-inspiring book and how we as college students can become activists in our own right, just like Starr.

Almost every statement and life lesson of hers was worth resounding applause, so here are a couple of things I personally took away from hearing her speak in person, and some I know others out there who didn't attend her talk would greatly benefit from.

1. Be sure to learn more before you judge a place and it's people

One of the first things Angie Thomas spoke about (after the deafening applause that lasted about 5 minutes) was her childhood in Mississippi. And she was quick to mention that no, it's not what it sounds like.

She points out that there are often misconceptions about growing up black in the South, and that there is more than just what the stereotypes suggest.

She had a good childhood, better than some other parts of the state, but there were definitely still issues of racism that she faced. The important thing to remember is that often stereotypes or widely thought ideas are not often the exact truth of the matter.

2. "Know your worth, but not everyone will value you the same way I do, simply because of the color of your skin"

I think that says enough. This is what Thomas was told numerous times growing up, and is a problem so many people face today. You are worth it, never doubt that.

3. Don't get too focused on the past and forget to deal with the present

Thomas explained how this became a real problem in Mississippi, and it was often her response when asked ignorant questions about growing up in the South.

Everyone was so focused on the slavery, lynchings, and segregation of Mississippi's past that very little outsiders or policymakers were focused on the needs of the present, such as cultivating a response to violence, drugs, and extreme racism that still exists in neighborhoods today.

This same idea can be applied to many areas in today's America, and even within our own lives. Too often we can be focused on the embarrassment and failures of the past that we forget what we can do right now in the present.

4. Activism is messy and hard, but it's worth it

Activism is meant to drive change, and to do that, you must offend some people who like the old and well, change what others may be used to.

It's a hard process, even in today's emotionally charged society, and while it may be easy to shy away from the messiness of activism, it will all be worth it to be the change you want to see in the world. And committing to activism and overcoming these obstacles will undoubtedly make you a stronger person.

5. Find what speaks to you, whatever it may be

Thomas, though a critically-acclaimed writer, confessed during her talk that as a kid, she really didn't like to read. Eventually, it was explained that this was not because of the mere act of reading, but something more personal than that. She said, and I quote, "books didn't speak to me, hip-hop did," and through hip-hop, she began to see herself in someone else's art. And that was powerful. Hip-hop and artists like 2Pac helped her realize her worth and place in the world, and it can be the same way for us. So if you find something that speaks to you, whether it be books or music or art or activity, love it unapologetically with all you've got.

6. Read "The Rose That Grew From Concrete"

Thomas said it really had an impact on her as she grew up, and was what began to inspire her to write on her own. When you read the poem, it's easy to see why.

7. You may be real-life Hailey without knowing you're real-life Hailey.

A reference that many fans of the book will understand, but basically this means that you should watch what you say and think about how it could impact the others around, especially if what you say is based on false and hurtful stereotypes. Hailey was a character from the book who, though claimed to be Starr's friend, often said racially insensitive things that caused Starr to be hurt and/or angry. Thomas claims that Hailey was based on a real person, and when that real person read the book, she didn't see herself as Hailey. Thomas eventually told her who she was, and they haven't spoken since.

8. You never need to make justifications for someone else's unjust behavior towards you.

Following instances like the ones described above regarding Hailey, Thomas often found that she was not speaking up for herself, but instead making excuses for why others would say such hurtful things. These excuses could range from "well maybe they're just having a bad day," or "maybe this is all they know," or "I'm sure they didn't mean it in a hurtful way," but nonetheless, they were all just served to bring her down. Once she stopped doing this and spoke up, Thomas was able to find her courage and voice, and so can we.

9. Turn your anger or hurt into something productive.

Thomas found that writing "The Hate U Give" was her way of responding to the injustice and misunderstanding she was seeing in the world, and it was fueled by her intense anger over real-world events and her classmates' reactions to them. For example, after Oscar Grant was unjustly shot by a police officer in 2009, her neighborhood responded with sadness akin to if Oscar had been immediate family, whereas the others in her school responded with things like "wasn't he a drug dealer," or "maybe he deserved it," or "he was probably going to die anyway." Thomas found that instead of lashing out, she could create empathy and understanding through writing so that others would hopefully never have to go through what she experienced.

10.There's power in making the political, personal.\

"As a young black woman in the South," Thomas stated, "my very existence is political."

To Thomas, there is no greater way to achieve true political change than to make the idea or concept you are trying to pursue, personal. Empathy is key in getting things to change. People need to see what it's like to live as someone else, to struggle with their struggles, to face what they have to face. That's part of what makes Thomas' book, and others like it, so powerful; Starr's voice is so moving that the reader feels as though they are right there with her, and they see the struggles they may merely hear about through someone's eyes and heart.

11. You must define your activism, but most importantly, you must be active

There are many different ways to engage in activism, whether it's actively protesting on the streets, making art to move people, or simply living your life proudly, and you must define the way in which you want to change the world. It doesn't matter what form it takes, just that it is.

12. Does someone care? Yes.

Never feel as though your voice won't be heard or that people won't care about what you say, or even that what you say will make any sort of difference.

13. If you change the community around you than you are changing the world

Many people think that their small, individual actions will not create real change in the grand scheme of things, but Thomas is here to tell us that that is absolutely not true. Once we change the community around us, we are changing the world for those individual people and creating more of a movement for further political change at the state or federal level.

14. "An avalanche is eventually caused by a bunch of snowflakes sticking together"

*After expressing her frustration at the word "snowflake," which she feels is now being used to describe anyone who's open about their feelings*

15. "Books are either mirrors, windows, or sliding glass doors."

Never underestimate the power of books. And never underestimate the power books have as a form of activism and empathy.

16. Every woman who has ever changed something has made someone uncomfortable.

Other people's comfort is not your priority, especially a man's.

17. Activism is a marathon, not a sprint

It may be frustrating to feel as though your efforts are amounting to very little when protesting and calling your senators and signing petitions and voting just don't feel like enough. Thomas encourages us to look past this, and instead of giving up, look ahead to the future and see just how these small steps can lead to something great. Too many things have been given up because they don't yield immediate results, but we must be hard-pressed to remember that true change never does.

18. Never make yourself smaller to fit into their space

Never make excuses for who you are or how other's treat you. Never feel ashamed of the things or people you love. Never focus on the judgment of others because, in the end, it's you who has to live with yourself and you who is responsible for your happiness. Be proud of who you are, and never diminish an authentic part of you to please or conform to other people.

19. Good writers are also good listeners

Finally, at the end of her speech, Thomas gave her advice on writing. The most notable statements include the necessity of reading every line of dialogue out loud (because if the voice isn't even authentic to you, how will it be authentic to your reader?) and that writer's block is a b***ch. She tells you to either take a much-deserved break from staring at the pages or skip to a completely different part of the story where you have more inspiration.

I learned so much for listening to her speech and reading her book, and it is now evident to me that author Angie Thomas can serve as a good role model for young girls everywhere. Her new book, "On the Come-Up" comes out February 5th, 2019, and I will be one of the first to grab it off the chairs.

So if you ever get the chance to hear Angie Thomas speak in person, you better go.