An Open Letter To Yellowcard

An Open Letter To Yellowcard

Thank you for 20 years of greatness.

12
An Open Letter To Yellowcard
Idobi

To Yellowcard, the band I’ll cherish forever,

You’ve been with me through more than you know. At age 10, when my life consisted mostly of dolls and playing dress-up, I happened upon a compilation CD which contained your hit single, “Ocean Avenue.” At the time, it was just a song I’d skip forward to on my Walkman and silently sing along to. While it faded into the background for most of the people I knew and became just another throwback tune that reminded us of our youth, it never got away from me. Admittedly as a young girl, I focused more on boy bands or groups you’d find on Radio Disney than artists with serious depth. It took me a few years to dive into music that would really resonate with me, but I got there.

During my sophomore year of high school, I took it upon myself to search out more rock groups to add to my music library to fill up the space where my pre-teen top 40’s groups could once be found. It was around this time I recalled Yellowcard and my young love for the group and their sound. After hours of going through your discography, I was hooked and slightly upset I had spent so many years unknowledgeable of the extreme talent you guys possessed beyond the one song I was familiar with. Despite missing these few years, the timing was never better, as it was announced just a few months after this rediscovery that you were coming back from hiatus. I was thrilled to say the least, and excited for what was to come. I spent nearly everyday learning the ins and outs of each record of yours. I was blown away. I felt more understood and less alone in the world thanks to these brilliant songs. As a teenager trying to find her place in the world, that kind of comfort is invaluable.

I remember when the tour announcement dropped that December and I learned you’d be heading out on the road with one of my other favorite groups, All Time Low. I couldn’t imagine a better pairing. I bought my ticket, and just a few short months later, I had gotten to see you for the very first time. It was simply magic. I knew from that moment on, you were going to be a special band to me. With the release of When You’re Through Thinking, Say Yes came about, my love was reaffirmed and I became hungry for more. All I could talk about with my friends was this band everyone had known at one point in our childhood, but never really given the chance to know more of. I got several of my friends on board, and life was just great.

By the time your next album, Souther Air, came out, I was about to begin my freshman year of college. Just when I thought I had needed you the most in high school, I never would have expected how hard I’d cling to you during this scary transformation. I spent my first few months at school living away from home, without my tight-knit group of friends, and feeling more mediocre in my classes than I was used to. I don’t look back on this time too fondly, but I can remember each time I felt afraid or inadequate, your music is what helped me through. It certainly helped that this album was all about being thankful for what you have and letting go of the things that weigh you down. I can’t stress enough how pivotal this message was for me to hear at a time like that.

Lift A Sail was released when things were starting to feel alright again for me. I was still unsure of where I was headed, but I found a way to be okay with that during this period of my life. It’s noted as being an experimental record, which seemed fitting for a young woman that had just chosen a slightly different career path and began to test the limits and break out of my shell more. It was the point of finding that balance between staying young and growing up as I reached that midpoint in my college career. I recall listening to the album during the hours I spent commuting to and from school, serving as a constant reminder that things would always be better than that first semester and that those hardships only help you grow.

Now here we are, just days after your self-titled, final album has been released. I’m still processing that this is the last I’ll hear from the band that has aided me through some of my most impressionable and life-changing years. I’m 22 now, still trying to figure it all out, but certainly on my way to doing so. I’m still young with a lot of learning left to do of course, but I’m more independent than I could have ever imagined I would be all those years ago. I guess our timing really always has been rather perfect. I needed you to guide me through those confusing, often scary, sometimes extremely exciting years between high school and now. It only makes sense that as an adult, I should be able to take all of the lessons your music has taught me and stand on my own. It’s not to say I won’t ever lean on your past records again, but only that you’ve taught me all that you can and I should only be thankful for the many years you have been around. Listening to this last album has been emotional, but has given me more hope for the future than ever. I’ll never fully be able to describe your impact on my life, but all I can say is thank you. I hope you end your triumphant career knowing you made a difference. No band could ever replace you or duplicate the mark you have made on me. Saying goodbye at my last Yellowcard show in November won't be easy, but these past few years have definitely made it worth it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

"I am not what appears
I am failures and fears
But I'm on my way, I am on my way.” — What Appears, Yellowcard