An Open Letter To Wells College

An Open Letter To Wells College

Thank you for helping me become the person I have always dreams of being, but could never quite reach.

20
An Open Letter To Wells College
Simcha Glassman

As graduation quickly approaches, I am in awe at how fast my senior year is coming to an end. It seems not that long ago that I first laid eyes on the beautiful campus of Wells College, and instantly knew this would be my home. I remember when I first heard about Wells through a booklet sent in the mail, I didn't really give it much thought and tossed the book aside. However, my dad read the book and told me how Wells had an amazing creative writing program and about the wonderful academics and history. So I decided to apply because of my dad and because they emailed me a free application with the essay waved. If only I knew then that that decision to apply would be one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Wells has taught me so many wonderful things over the years, and not just academically, but also about myself. I was able to learn from some of the greatest English professors, and I had a very personal relationship with them. They helped foster and hone in my writing and critical thinking skills to the point where I'm now not afraid to make my voice heard. I am confident in my writing abilities and in my ability to accomplish my dream: to become a famous writer.

From Wells I have meet some of the greatest people who have had such an impact on my life. Many of these people have become lifelong friends of mine. They all have encouraged me to be a better, more confident person. They have inspired me with their intelligence and self-confidence, which has shown me that I can do anything I put my mind to. They have helped me in my journey to self-love and they have made me feel important. They've also helped me realize that I am a great person and that I am worth it.

My college experience hasn't been completely positive. With some of my friendships also came many issues and fights. I even lost some friends along the way. However, this helped me realize that I need to stand up for myself and that I deserve better. Some of these friends used me, and some expected more than I could ever give. But I learned that if a friendship is important enough, you must fight for it at all cost, and fortunately I was able to kind of save some of my friendships. I also have learned that there is only so much you can do to please a person, and even that sometimes isn't enough.

Perhaps the biggest change in my life that Wells inadvertently brought me was the love of my life. While I did not meet him at Wells nor does he go to Wells, Wells brought us together and gave me the confidence I needed so that I could be in my first, and hopefully last relationship. Wells gave me the support system I needed to teach me that I can love someone with all my heart without fear. My life has been changed forever because of him. I am so much happier, and I am gaining confidence in myself because of him. He has helped me feel complete and that I'm worth being loved. He's helped me remember to be the person I dreamed I would be when I graduated high school: happy and confident. While it did take me four years to finally have this end goal in my reach, it's because of Wells that it happened at all.

So as I reflect on my four years here at this wondrous, weird place, I can't help but smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside that I have become a better person because of Wells. I also can't help but feel sadness that I must leave this beautiful place and part from all the wondrous people I've had the honor of meeting here. I am reminded though, that one of the most important lessons I learned at Wells is that we are a community, and as long as you are a part of Wells and it's history, you will never be truly on your own. Wells and the people here will always have your back, and support you as you reach for the stars, that all paths lead back here, and that we are all in this together.

I am ready to graduate and reach for my dream. I am ready to move on to move on to the next step of my journey. I am ready because I know that no matter how far I go, the friends I have met here will always be there.