An Open Letter to Struggling Twenty Somethings

Your twenties are weird, but you aren't the only who feels out of place.

22
Jessica Fisher

Let's be honest, your twenties are weird. It's an awkward age. Some people are still in college, some have started their careers, others are engaged, already married or even have kids. Whatever category you may be in, you aren't alone. No matter what is going on, or where you are you might find yourself struggling to figure everything out, or are feeling like you aren't where you need to be. The majority of us twenty-somethings are muddling through life, hoping that we'll get it right. It's hard to feel like you're on the right track, or are doing things right when you aren't even fully sure what you should be doing in the first place. Knowing you aren't alone provides some solace, but it's still hard to push forward to where you want to be when so many of your peers are already there.

You're probably frustrated with where you are, but you've got this. Instead of focusing on what you haven't accomplished, acknowledge and praise yourself for what you have conquered, no matter how small. Be easy on yourself, you're getting there. We don't just wake up one day and know how to navigate through our adult lives. You're going to make mistakes, and that's okay. We are more than our mistakes. We are the life lessons we learn from our mistakes. The twenties are hard but don't give up. You've got this. It'll take a little while, but you will get to where you want to be, and you'll figure it all out along the way. So take a deep breath, you'll make it through your twenties. Honestly, before you know it, you'll be out of your twenties and you'll be trying to tackle your thirties.