An Open Letter To The Teacher I Will Never Forget

In memory of Mary Jo Butch.

3231
Bishop Carroll Catholic High School

It has been years since I have sat in a classroom of yours. I often find myself reminiscing back to my school days. My high school years have since passed but the memories still remain. I recall all of the friendly hellos you gave when walking through the halls and the sweet smile you always had on your face that could brighten anyone's day. I want you to know that you will always remain a special part of my life.

I must say that teachers have a large impact on young minds. Many of my teachers have had the same influence as my parents. You are leaders, guardians, and role models. Educators make a difference. I would like you to know that you have not only made a difference to me years ago while sitting in your classroom but more importantly, you still have an impact on my life today.

You have known me during some tough years in my life. High school is a time of searching and finding yourself. During these years it is important to have a role model, someone to guide you towards good choices and lead you to your full potential. You were that person. You were always there to talk. You always knew how to say something positive to help build someone up.

You are a role model for me. Your life is aspiring. You lived a healthy and happy lifestyle that I also hope to attain. You always gave a smile. Your happiness was contagious. The way you cared for all of your students and gave each one respect showed your compassion and love. I too aspire to have these qualities you possessed.

Mrs. Butch, even through your toughest moment,s you have showed great strength. This is the quality I admire most about you. I will never forget that moment in gym class when you sat us down and told us that you had to stop teaching for awhile because you had a suspicious lump in your brain. I could see the tears in your eyes but you showed no fear. You were calm and told us that you would be in the hospital getting things taken care of and then return back in a few months. Little did I know, that would be the last day I would get to see you.

Months went by and pretty soon the school year was coming to an end. Month after month went by and you still were not back. Then, things took a turn for the worse. You were recovering and then your health suddenly got bad. I can relive the moment in my head the day I wish wasn't true. I will never forget that day during senior year that the principal announced you had passed away. I could not believe it; no one could. You were so young, too young. The whole school seemed to stop that day. Classes were over and everyone went into the cafeteria and mourned the loss of a wonderful mother, colleague, friend and teacher.

It has been two years now and I still miss you to this day. I wish I could tell you about my college experiences and life out of high school. I want you to know that you have made an impact on my life. I want you to know that I too have chosen a career as an educator. I want to make a difference and be an impact to someone just as you have been for me.

Mrs. Butch, I would just like to say thank you. Thank you for encouraging me to live a happy and healthy life style. Thank you for all of the times playing knock out in gym class and for also never giving up on me when learning to throw a football the right way. Thank you for being the smile that I needed as a reminder that life's to short to be anything but happy. Mrs. Butch, you have made a large difference in my life and the many other lives that you have encountered. You continue to inspire. Your distinguishing qualities and life will never be forgotten. You will forever and always hold a special place in my heart.

Your student,

Rachel