An Open Letter to the Teacher That I'll Always Look Up to

Your integrity, hard work, and love for others will always be appreciated.

1839
Nina Hebrank

To the teacher that helped me grow into the person I am today:

I'm sure you hear this often from the hundreds of students you've had, but you are by far the best teacher I've ever had. I've had some pretty great teachers, but I never got to take as many classes with them as I did with you. From music appreciation to chamber choir, having you all through high school really gave me a chance to see how great you really are. Staying in touch after only built my appreciation for the person you are and the person you have made me today.

No one made me feel as confident as you did. As a freshman, I was shy and never really liked to sing in front of other people. By senior year, I had built up the courage to audition for every solo. As a music teacher, you see almost every student that enters the school. You had a special talent for memorizing everyone's names and making them feel special. Not only that, but you'd remember little things about them. The best part is, you didn't even realize how big of an impact you made on each and every one of us.

I will never forget the day I auditioned for a solo for the last concert of my senior year. I was singing "Lean on Me." You stopped the piano, and reminded me that this wasn't an empty song. I should think of my brother and bring emotion in from there. You made it personal.

That is what I admire most about you, you actually cared. Some adults would make small talk with us but you always made sure we felt happy in your classroom. Your classroom was my favorite place in the entire school because I knew during the 50 minutes I'd be there, it would be full of laughs, music, and love. The memories I made in your classes are the ones I cherish the most.

You are the most caring, compassionate, and faithful people I know. I've never met a person who truly "lives Jesus" as much as you. You inspired every student you met to do the same, even if we did struggle in our faith. Not only that, but you taught us to be accepting and inclusive to others. Not once did you turn a student away who was in need. You were never selfish.

Your joy and sense of humor was infectious. I remember being in middle school and hearing all the older girls talk about how much they loved your class. They'd talk about how funny and down-to-earth you were. There was never a day where you failed to make me laugh.

You understood that to us, even the little things that happened could make us feel like the world was ending. You were always understanding of our feelings, and you showed us compassion when we needed a friend. I have never met a teacher so concerned with the well-being of all his/her students.

So thank you. You have taught me the importance of acceptance, love, faith, and most importantly - music! I wake up everyday smiling and I can't help but feel that you helped me become this way in high school. I will always be thankful for God having placed you in my life.

Love always,

Nina