An Open Letter to the Student That Isn't Happy

Don't be scared to make a change.

19
Alex Howell

"Being happy is of the utmost importance. Success in anything is through happiness." ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

I have changed my major once before, and I'm getting ready to change it again. The first time I knew that I wasn't in the right place. I wasn't happy and I didn't fit in. This time I think I was closer to where I belong, but I'm still not as happy as I should be, and I honestly don't see myself working in this career field in the future. I know without a doubt that this time, I know where I belong. It is something that I'm very passionate about and enjoy doing. It has taken a lot of courage to be able to stand up and say that I wasn't happy and needed a change. I have worried that I would disappoint my friends and family. I have worried about how it might push my graduation date back. But I have come to realize that it's my life and I need to be happy in it. I now know that my family and friends won't be disappointed, but they will be supportive. And so what if my graduation date is pushed back? We're talking about a lifetime of happiness here. It's okay to step up and say that you need a change. Nobody is going to fault you for it. And let's not get started about grades. C's get degrees, so if you don't have that perfect 4.0, so what? You will still graduate and have a degree. If you have a friend that has that perfect 4.0 and you don't, don't let them bully you or talk down to you.

At the end of the day, we are all human beings. Nobody is perfect. Nobody is ever going to be perfect. If you aren't happy for any reason, don't be scared to make that change. You can't deny who you are or who you are meant to be. Just be yourself.