An Open Letter To The Seniors From A Freshman

You have set the bar high for us.

207
SRU Department of Dance

This semester I was involved with the capstone project of SRU's dance department known as the Senior Synthesis. I had the honor of dancing for two incredible senior choreographers who were excited and passionate about sharing their artistic visions. As I write this article on the day of the Senior Synth Concert, I can't help but reflect on the influence my first senior class has had on my collegiate dance career and my life.

Before the concert began, We were told that the seniors have set the bar high for us underclassmen. Not only have they developed their own artistic voices, but they have done so by uplifting and encouraging each other every step of the way. I cried as I heard these words. I remembered when those seniors helped me find my way when I was new to the dance department. Every day I learned from their example professionalism, performance, artistry, confidence, and so much more. As they leave the dance department, I will never forget the lessons, kind words, and memories they have shared with me throughout my freshman year.

To the class of 2017, thank you for everything. I couldn't have asked for a better class to look up to. You were all so warm and helpful from my very first day on campus. As I watched you dance, I was inspired by your talent and passion. I hope that by the time I'm a senior, I am able to perform at your level. I watched you express your individual artistry through performance, choreography, film, and other aspects of dance. You taught me that no two dancers are the same, and to embrace each other's individuality. In each of you I have found role models, fellow dancers, respected choreographers, and good friends.

You have indeed set the bar high for us. I hope that by the time my fellow freshmen and I are seniors, we not only find who we are as artists, but uplift each other in the process as you have done. We'll do our best to make you all proud, and we wish you the best as you dance through your lives.

Sincerely,

A freshman who will never forget you