An Open Letter To The Person Yelling At The Cashier

Yelling at a service worker makes you a jerk.

336
misterass.com

To the person three lanes over who’s yelling at the cashier -- how dare you. How dare you yell at that other human being as if they were less than you. How dare you try to make the person who is trying to help you feel as if they’ve done something wrong. How dare you feel as though this behavior your displaying is acceptable in any way shape or form.

Thanks to your loud and obnoxious voice, I can clearly hear everything that’s going on even if I am 50 feet away. You’re upset because the cashier won’t take your expired coupons, that they can’t refund your money on a defective item you want to exchange, and they want to card you for the three cases of beer you’re about to buy. You’re annoyed that they won’t cater to you, and everyone else in line can’t believe they’re watching a grown person throw a tantrum comparable to a toddler.

I’d like to now tell you why you look ridiculous. No, the cashier won’t take your expired coupons. They won’t take them because not only is it illegal to approve an expired coupon, but store policy tells them they can’t accept an expired coupon. Now, I understand, sometimes you don’t realize a coupon is expired and while that might be upsetting and a little embarrassing, it’s no big deal. The cashier will let you know the coupon can’t be accepted and you can move on with your life. What is a big deal is when you yell at an innocent person because they can’t and won’t “bend the rules this one time.”

No, the cashier won’t refund your money for the defective item because it's not their job. As they’ve now told you three separate times, you will need to go to customer service for this issue. Yes, it means you will need to go stand in yet another line, but you will get your money back, so is it really that big of a deal? No matter how much you yell and cry and whine and threaten to report the cashier to the manager, they won’t change their answer because it’s store policythat customer service take care of this issue. Those are the rules and they have to stick to them.

Finally, yes, the cashier has to card you for your alcoholic purchases. Now, I know, it’s obvious that you predate the dinosaurs what with those deep set wrinkles and the hearing aids hanging from your ears that are the size of half dollars, but as store policy dictates, you must show your identification card to allow the cashier to check you out. It’s annoying and silly, and many cashiers agree with you that you shouldn’t need to be carded, but by yelling at them and not being cooperative, you are only slowing down the line, causing a scene, and making everyone around you question who or what spit in your coffee this morning.

Here’s the thing about getting annoyed with cashiers and other service workers: you look like a jerk. As a shopper of many stores, I understand that sometimes we wish the rules weren’t the way they were because they don’t allow us to get the best deal or they make life a little more difficult. But here’s the thing to remember: the cashiers, the shelf stockers, the shirt folders, and the floor sweepers have no say in what the rules dictate. They aren’t allowed to bend the rules because their job is on the line. As an accountant, would you let a client not claim some income they received over the year on their tax form? As a lawyer, would you omit a piece of evidence you found because it would incriminate your client? As a banker, would you give a loan to a person who has a bad credit score? If the answer to any of these questions is no, why would you expect someone else to risk their job just for you?

People in the service industry work hard to try to make your life easy and better, so when you treat them as if they were less than you, it shows everyone else that you are not a nice person. Instead of yelling and causing a scene, try this next time you interact with a worker in the service industry: tell them thank you and that they have made your day easier. Tell them that their hard work is appreciated. Give them a smile and pleasant conversation. They deserve to be treated with respect and love just like everyone else, because as hard as it might be to believe, they work just as hard as you do.

To all those who work in the service industry: thank you. Thank you for helping me when I am clueless about where the matches are. Thank you for supplying me a bag when I forget my canvas bags. Thank you for your smiles and warmth. I want you to know you are appreciated, even if some choose not to let you know this. You are appreciated, and you have my and many others thanks.

Sincerely,
The girl who appreciates all of your help