This Letter Is For The One Who Is Scared Of The Future

It is possible to feel both scared and excited.

171

Dear whoever is reading this,

Are you going to be graduating soon? Are you anxious about what the future holds for you? Is the pressure of getting a job, paying off your loans, and moving out of your parents' place getting to you and putting more weight on your shoulders than it should? Well, I'm here to tell you that it's completely normal to feel this way, and you are not alone.

I'm actually graduating in the coming fall semester, and it's not settling with me as well as I think it should. I see so many people excited to graduate, but all I could feel is nothing but existential dread inside whenever I think about graduating. While I am excited about getting to do what I love and getting more opportunities to improve my mental health, it still scares me knowing that I still have to start applying for jobs over the summer so I would have a better chance to be set when I graduate in December. It still scares me that in seven months I will not be seeing my friends every day anymore and would have to make my transition into the real world. It still scares me that I would have to start paying off my loans in seven months.

I was honestly pretty surprised to find out that so many other people fear the same thing. I see so many statuses from graduating seniors saying that they can't wait to graduate and start getting out in the real world. This kind of made me feel worse than I already was about graduating because I did feel like the only one. But when I started talking to other people, they said that they were scared too, but it will be worth it in the end.

And to tell you the truth, it will be. You will get that job and pay off those loans you racked up. You will move out of your parents' place and start living the life that you want. You will be able to take many more steps in improving your mental health. You may feel scared right now, but all of your hard work will pay off very soon. I know that one day, I will be waking up happy and about to do what I love instead of dreading waking up and going to class, and I know so will you.

I know that me rambling on is more than likely not going to make you feel any better, but I'm not expecting you to. Your feelings are absolutely valid and you should not feel ashamed about being scared of graduating. I just want you to know that so many other people are in your position right now, scared of what the future holds for them, and you are not alone. Graduating is both a scary thing and an exciting thing at the same time, and it's completely possible to feel both.

Sincerely,

Someone who is scared about their future.