An Open Letter To The Fresh Out Of High School Graduate Scared About The Future.

You got this...

49
Photo by Jeremy Bishop on Unsplash

I know the emotions you are feeling: anxious, excited, and overwhelmed. Some students are moving away from home, and some are just scared about being put into a new environment. You are wondering if you have chosen the right college if you will make friends, and how you will manage all the changes at once. College does bring a lot of questions and anxieties into your mind, and they are perfectly valid because it will be a significant change; however, do not allow those worries to overcome you.

Choosing the right college for you does matter; however, is there ever the right college? Depending on how you put yourself out there, you can make any college the right college. Your hard work, dedication, and positive attitude will make all the difference. College is not a trap, and there is nothing wrong with changing your mind. Once you choose a college, you are not stuck there, and it does not ruin your college experience to transfer. Do not stress yourself out thinking you only have one chance to make it or break it. Choosing the right college comes down to how much you put into the experience. Get out of you’re comfort zone for a little bit, do your thing, and the rest will happen.

College is a whole new world compared to high school. In high school, there is a small pool of people you are forced to hang out with in some cases. However, in college, there are people of all ethnicities, sexualities, and interests. There is a place on campus for all students; you just need to find yours. Making friends can be stressful, especially considering college friends are supposed to be your "life-long friends"; however, don't put that pressure on yourself. Find people that make you feel comfortable, join clubs, and don't change for other people. College gives you a lot of options and opportunities to meet new people and make friends, so just let it happen naturally.

High school does not leave as much room to make your own decisions with what you do with your time. However, almost everything in college is your choice. You can choose to have days off during the week from classes, instead of 8 hours of school five days a week. This change will help you to manage your interests and have time for yourself. You do not need to worry about not having time; just trust your judgment and make it happen. Get involved, make your mental health a priority, try new things, and you will be able to make it work.

I know it is terrifying taking such a dramatic step forward in life, but think about all the fantastic things that will happen in the next four years. You will have tried new things, made new friends, and matured. Don't let yourself be overwhelmed and just go for it. College is a time to broaden your knowledge about the world and yourself, don't be scared of that. You have a lot of success and personal achievements to look forward, so those ideas take over your worry.