An Open Letter To The Girl Who I Thought Would Be My Forever Friend

I don't miss you.
311

Dear Ex- Best Friend,

Sitting in your room, blasting Paranoid by Tyga, talking about life, things seemed like they couldn't get any better. Growing closer and closer by every sleepover we had each weekend, endless mall trips, ordering cheese fries from Outback with EXTRA ranch, planning our speeches for eachothers weddings, crying over boys, laughing at boys, planning to get matching tattoos and everything inbetween. You were my best friend.

Living life with you day by day, I couldn't picture having a better best friend. I really thought you would be my forever friend. We had the type of friendship that if we weren't texting and snapchatting all day, we were together. We had the type of friendship that if we didn't see each other for a whole week, it wasn't normal. We had the type of friendship that you could be brutally honest with me and I would get defensive, but I knew it was for the best. We had the type of friendship that I could walk around with no pants on, and it wasn't weird. We had the type of friendship that you would listen to me complain about the same boy, and still hear me out about how he is going to "change." We had the type of friendship that we could talk about absolutely anything and it would never get weird. We had the type of friendship that you weren't even a best friend, you were my sister.

Making the decision to not have you in my life anymore was not easy. Now, six months later I realized it was for the best. The last few months of our friendship was rocky and there was obvious tension neither of us were talking about. Our easy going, fun, loving friendship just wasn't the same. All throughout high school I made you my top priority on the friendship ladder and didn't pay other people much mind. Why would I though? We had been best friends since seventh grade. Not having many other friends seemed great in the moment, but looking back it hurt me immensely.

Thank you for the great memories we shared, but I have made new ones, with new friends. Thank you for saying I wouldn't be able to make new friends because nobody liked me, it pushed me to change myself for college. Thank you for saying my anxiety would always hold me back, and I would never be able to be romantically involved with a boy. I am now in a happy relationship. Thank you for saying you didn't want to be involved with me if I drank, cheers to that. Thank you for attempting to hold me back from making new friends because you didn't like them; it made me realize that's not what a supportive friend does. Thank you for trying to always hold me down indirectly because it pushed me to work harder. Thank you for always trying to out to do me, in everything; it made me realize not everything is materialistic and friendship shouldn't be a competition. Thank you for pushing me away from you so I can now call my new best friend, a best friend.

So, to the girl who I thought would be my forever friend, I don't miss you.

Sincerely,

Your Ex- Best Friend